Anyone else ever just stop talking to a friend? Vent

I found a friend on facebook a year ago and she has already been talking to me like I am stupid and well it's been a while since I have answered her calls and I am feeling pretty good about myself. The constant put down tone was just making me feel like a loser. And I am a SAHM, she works and talks of clubbing.

So we really had nothing in common. At least not anymore. Sometimes I wonder if we ever were friends.

idaspida

Asked by idaspida at 11:55 AM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• You don't need people in your life who put you down. Unfriend her.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• scissoractually i have just stopped talking to a "friend". i don't waste my time with people who don't enrich my life in one form or another. if the right hand offends me i cut it off. simple.

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 11:58 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yep. I had a friend I actually met her on cafemom and we were all in a group together and all the women got pretty close. We would all call each other and chat and all that. Anyway this one was always depressed, talking of suicide and no matter what Id try to make her feel better. Well one day I was on chat with her and she started talking about something and I said yea I know what you mean and started saying how I was so glad I had real family around to help me. My mom has never really been great at that. Before I could get to the my mom part she cussed me & said I put her down. I defriended her and told her not to contact me anymore because she was so self absorbed with herself she didnt know how to think about something like family problems relating to anyone but her. I felt bad bc I had been there for her & this one time she turns everything on me & wasnt there for me.

Answer by gemgem at 11:59 AM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I had a situation with a friend that I have literally known all my life....a real life toxic friend....she was so negative, nothing ever made her happy, she was always putting me down, making me feel stupid or inadequate, I would be exhausted after hanging out with her or talking to her...she mentally drained me with her negativity...finally I had to "break up with her" It was so hard, she started acting like a freaking stalker! Called me literally 20 more times that day, cursed me out, called me to hang up in my face....it was worse then breaking up with a guy! I had to realize she was never my friend...she was just some woman who got off on making me miserable....Cutting her out of my life (I swear I moved and changed my phone number...it was that bad) anyways, cutting her out of my life was one of the best decisions I've ever made . Let her go, it will be better for you in the long run. Good luck mama
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I've been there before. I was the first one of my friends to have children and none of my friends got it. They would give me a hard time about not going out and the last straw was when on New Year's Eve we had planned to all get together. At first they said kids were okay at the party and then 3 weeks before they changed their minds. I could not be bothered with them anymore after that. Now my children are 14, 12 and 9. They all have children that are not even in school yet and I think they have finally started to get it although now it is to late.

Good luck and if you feel better not talking to this person than you are probably better off not having them as a friend.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.I think sometimes its just a matter of priorities.
    I have a really good friend with a child my sons age, and I cannot stand her parenting.Shes very into herself-her life, her boyfriends, her social schedule, etc etc. It always seems like shes making terribly selfish and destructive decisions, and yet criticizes mine for being too whatever.
    In the end, I like her, but we just dont have anything in common. I think its natural, when it hits that point, to just not be friends anymore, and withold communication.If you didnt stop talking to her, you wouldnt like her or her lifestyle any more, but instead may like her less and less.
    missmidlomom

Answer by missmidlomom at 12:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Friendships like realtionship end all the time for a variety of reasons and its okay. You could have been friends at one point but your lives, interests, and priorities have changed.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:08 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I had a friend too for years and years only after we married and went our seperate ways.She called me out of the blue asking to go to a club,I had just had my son.He was 3 weeks.I did not feel like going to any clubs.She said they were having a wet T-shirt contest and she knew i would win.Well 3 weeks of having a baby,and i don't club anyway.She ranted at me saying you always get what you want,you have a son ,well why don't you just call me when you think of something we can do together.well i never called.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 12:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I would be honest with her instead of just ignoring her calls, but that's just me. I've had to do that before, but I was straight up and told my best friend at the time that she was too dramatic and negative for me, and it was time to go separate ways. I've heard that since then she is somewhat less dramatic- so I'm glad I finally stood up to her (no one else ever had, hence why she didn't change until someone did). Good luck
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I have tried being honest with her and what she wants is for me to tellher what is in my heart, not let the friendship go. But she keeps talking of following your heart and really she just is bitter after her divorce... she cheated... and she wanted me to leave my child and husband to come live with her.
    What started her doing this is I complianed one time about my DD not doing homework one day. It was like she was trying to help me make my problems larger.
    idaspida

Comment by idaspida (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2011