Is this true about curly hair on toddlers?

a friend of mine told me to never ever cut my middle daughter's (2 years old) hair, because a friend of her's daughter got a hold of the scissors one day, cut all her curly hair off and the curls never grew back! of course when my 2 year old needs a haircut, i'll get her one, i've never touched her hair with the scissors and it's a little passed her shoulders. i have trimmed her bangs, and her bangs are straight along with the hair on top of her head. the curls seem to start as soon as it grows down, so like i said the top of her hair doesn't have curls but everywhere else does, and they are beautiful ringlets! my niece's hair is the same way, she's turning 4 this year, her hair is much longer and it seems her curls are fizzling out on their own.. last i saw her it almost looked straight. i absolutely love my 2 year old's hair.. ill be so sad if they go away LOL. but just wondering if it's true if you cut curly hair in young children the hair grows back straight?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Nope. Not true.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:26 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Sometimes they grow out of their curls, sometimes they don't. I don't think that cutting it has anything to do with that though.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• No, not unless they are going to have straight hair in a year or two anyway. I never cut my daughter's off short, but I did trim it as needed and at 9 she still have gorgeous curls!

Answer by missanc at 12:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Um no. I've cut my 2 1/2 year-old's hair half a dozen times (since she was less than a year old) and the curls always grow back.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Hair changes a lot as kids grow. Cutting curly hair will not lead to the curls not growing back.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 12:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My son's father shaved his head when he was 9 months old (without my permission- he had chin length curls, and was born with very long hair). It grew back even curlier.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• not in my case it didn't - my son has very curly hair and when it got long again it curled up more than before
    brysenmom

Answer by brysenmom at 12:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My daughter's hair is super curly, she's 2 will be 3 in july. We just got her first haircut yesterday and it's still curly, actually, it's more curly than it was before the haircut!
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 12:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• both of our nieces went straight after the cut - they had the curls only near the ends though
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Cutting hair has no effect on the texture of new hair that grows in. That's just dumb.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2011