Whado u do with a 5 yr. old boy that does not want to mind?

it seems like the more i punish him for the bad things he does the more he doesn't mind

mommymtz

Asked by mommymtz at 12:26 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I hate to say it, but it seems likely that this didn't start over night. But its better late then never that you see it now. I would try praising him for good behavior, no matter how small. cleaning up from his lunch, throwing something out, helping in the house, anything, make a fuss, tell him great job your so proud etc etc.. He may like that more then being in trouble. Even small rewards, tell him you were great this morning getting ready for school, lets go get pizza for lunch or whatever. My 5 yr old is truly super and I am very lucky. Yet I still do those things with him, and he loves making me happy he helps on his own all the time! Good luck!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• If there is nothing but punishment, things will go really bad. There has to be plenty of encouragement and rewards for good behaviors.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:28 PM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Try praising the good and not acknowledging the bad.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:33 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I'm having the same problem with my 5 yr old boy. He was the sweetest little boy and it seemed like all of a sudden he changed. He hurts people, he pees himself when he gets upset, he cries sometimes when you barely get upset with him. We've tried spanking, times outs and taking his things away and nothing seems to work. One minute he's throwing metal cars at his brother's face and the next is hugging everyone saying he loves them
    DevinSkye

Answer by DevinSkye at 9:39 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• 5 is a scary age sometimes. Be consistent with punishment, but also praise him every chance you get, even if it's for small things.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 5:53 PM on Mar. 20, 2011