Do you trust men to watch your kids?

IF it's someone you know and trust. My counselor told me men can't be trusted with children because we have a friend who has watched my daughter in emergecnies. She says, "I wouldn't trust him to watch your child. Men can easily cross that line." I'm like...not all men cross that line. It depends on who you trust and who you don't trust. I don't trust alot of women to watch my kids.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 12:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• There are about as many men as women that I trust to watch my kids.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Your counselor is an idiot. I have my degree in psych and would never tell someone that. Men and women can both be sexually abusers or physical abusers.

Answer by gemgem at 12:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• there are a couple I would trust outside of family...mainly b/c they are like family. one has a daughter exactly my daughters age and we've known each other for decades....the other is a dear friend and adores my daughter. never have had a reason not to trust them . there are plenty of women I wouldn't trust!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Wow, your counselor sounds pretty closed minded. That's sad. It's really hard for me to say yes, though, because I don't know a lot of men I would trust to watch my kids. My husband (of course), my dad, my FIL (when he was alive) and my husband's best friend who is more like a brother to him. The list of women who I would leave my kids with is just as short, though.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:30 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• If "men can easily cross that line" then you should never ever ever leave your child alone with its father. He's a man after all.

Your counselor is an idiot.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:30 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yes, i have let close friends & family watch my daughter that happen to be men.

That is her opinion & maybe since she is a counselor, she has heard worst case scenarios. My brother was molested by a woman, she was 17 years old & my brother was only 7-8. It can happen even with woman. The whole point, is how much you trust that person with children. I have many guy friends who raised wonderful daughters that are grown & are awesome little human beings. I easily would leave my daughter with some of my guy friends. I disagree that "men easily cross the line". Maybe some do, but some women do too, i know that from experience....

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yeah I got really irritated by that comment and told her, look. he's already watched my daughter when i had the baby and he probably spent a majority of the time on his computer anyway (my daughter was asleep the whole time til my mom came anyway so it's okay). I just don't understand why she thinks EVERY MAN would be that shady. There are some normal men in the world too.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• ummm ok wow! Sounds like they have issues.
    My hubby is a male and so is my brother, my dad and my gpa. All people I trust. I also have a male friend who is an infant toddler caregiver.
    The only reason I wouldn't trust other males I know would because they don't have ANY experience with children. But that goes for ANY gender!
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 12:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I think your counselor is prejudiced because it's mostly male pedophiles who get media attention. However, women are equally capable of predatory actions. I think people who are attracted to children are inherently ill, and are anomolies in society rather than any form of "norm."

My husband is the primary caregiver for my son, but our contingency caregiver is my father-in-law. My son loves being babysat by his dad and "pop" because they take him on all kinds of adventures-- to the park, mall, zoo, aquarium, etc.

If, however, there was an adult who was a little too eager to spend time with my son, whose relationships are primarily with children, I might have hesitations and not have my child cared for by them.

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Your counselor is an idiot

trusted friend is a trusted friend

trust your instists
    and get a new counselor
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2011