Has anyone ever taken their toddler to a counselor??

mainly just to figure out how to deal with them?? How was your experience??

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 12:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Not sure i understand the ques? If its to learn how to deal with them, maybe parenting classes will be more helpful. I would think of a counselor as someone needed if your child had issues or problems, like something happened to them or they have anger issues etc? Sometimes just talking to other moms helps ALOT! and makes you feel like you are not alone.
    Good luck
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 12:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• i wish talking helped..but Im at the end of my rope. thanks :) i was thinking for her and I...to see if she has any issues before I keep trying punishments/positive reinforcements, etc...she's only 2 1/2 but I don't even feel i even know her.
    calliesmommie

Comment by calliesmommie (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• That feeling of "not knowing her" is very normal at that age. Her personality, abilities, and knowledge is changing rapidly and she is, in a way, becoming a different person so it's natural for you not to be comfortable with it. I don't know what you're expecting to find with a counselor. I seriously doubt a 2 1/2 year old is going to offer much to a councelor to go off of. If you are worried about some kind of disorder see her pediatrician.
    Anonymous

• We call my son consistently INconsistent. loL! I still don't know what will work for him or who "HE" is but I think that comes with time and certain childrens temperments too - not all of us are born with bonds, or natural instincts or that "mothers' touch" for understanding your child but don't stop trying.. i think to see if there is something wrong, depending on what ares are your real concerns are, go through early childhood before a counselor..have you looked on line or read books? what are your concerns?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:45 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• my concerns are that she has some type of anger and I don't know what...she repeats what she says, if I say no to something or ignore her, she just screams it...and I mean at the top of her lungs. it's constant. she pushes me away...hits me, slaps me, kicks the cats ( I don't let her) things like that...i have always been home with her and just don't know what to do anymore.
    calliesmommie

Comment by calliesmommie (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2011