Not ready to breast pump yet.

My MIL, her BF, Gmil, Gfil are coming this weekend.
She keeps begging hubbs and me to pump into a bottle for her to baby sit (she wants us to go out and leave the baby with her). We keep saying NO!!! I'm not ready for him to feed out of a bottle and I'm sure as heck not ready to leave him alone!!! He was born 1 Mar.
If this was your MIL, What would you say to get her off your back?

smokisses

Asked by smokisses at 12:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tell her you appreciate it, but the doctor has instructed NO BOTTLES till the baby is at least a month old.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:30 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• oh geez...wouldn't be happening with me...its your baby...I didn't leave DD alone even with family until like 4 months old, and then it was just for a quick dinner. if you're not comfortable then don't do it...simple as that.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:30 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Tell her that you would LOVE her help, but you have feedings under control. Can you do XYZ instead?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I would just tell her exactly that. Nicely say " Thank you so much for the offer, but we want him to learn how to feed this way first and later we may decide to pump."
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 12:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Oh, and since its so soon after delivery, you can say you don't feel up to going out. Or, you can tell her the truth, that you're still trying to establish your supply, and don't want to interfere with nursing, and are simply not ready to leave baby alone yet.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Wow. I would be mad. If it was me I'd probably be quite blunt about it, when she mentions it again I'd say, hes not even a month old yet and I don't want to leave him. I'm not going to give him any bottles yet anyway. There'll be plenty time for you to babysit in the future.
    Melissa15

Answer by Melissa15 at 12:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• well, idk why she even assumes I'm going to pump. I do have to pump and dump, because my breasts are over flowing when I feed the little one, lol. But, MIL doesn't know that!
    smokisses

Comment by smokisses (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I actually made the mistake of pumping too early with my son and he ended up screaming bloody murder when I tried to feed him from the breast. You are doing the right thing.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 1:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• be honest and say you're really not ready to leave him yet. i didn't leave my son for anything, not even a loaf of bread until he was 5 months old
    lashes325

Answer by lashes325 at 1:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My MIL is pretty good about listening but I'd jsut tell her, thanks but we're not goign out & dr says it's too soon for baby to take a bottle. I have blamed the dr many many times.
    mamabens

Answer by mamabens at 1:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2011