How did you prepare for your natural delivery?

Or how are you preparing? Any books, websites, techniques or classes you'd recommend?

EwansMommy

Asked by EwansMommy at 12:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• With my first baby I took a class about labor and delivery, but found it to be useless. I went in thinking I needed an epidural, my mom and sister really pushed me to get one. I went into labor and wanted an epidural, but it was too late and I gave birth without the epi. Then a few years later I was at the hospital when my sister had her youngest. She had the epi, but the baby's head got stuck and the doc pulled him out with the suction thing and it cracked her pelvis. After that I knew I didn't want an epi!
    So I went and started reading when I got pregnant again. I really liked Dr Bradley's "Husband Coached Childbirth". It talks about how we as women can do it naturally and how we should take a look at how animals give birth, in a quiet peaceful manner. Some of the stuff he talked about was hilarious, but the peacefulness of what he talked about really hit a cord with me. Definitely worth a read.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• lots of yoga & i also went to the chiropractor who would help open my hips up more.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:34 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Not all chiropractors do that though, you have to shop around & see if they offer pregnancy adjustments.
    samurai_chica

• i just took a delievery class. Nothing special.
    SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 12:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• All the books, coaching, breathing classes, etc. I found useless. When you are in labor the pain is so overwhelming that you can forget anything you learned. I found that the best thing in the room with me that helped me through was my wonderful mother in law who has had 4 children herself. That wonderful woman is what got me through :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• i had no intention of having one. i told my midwives right up front that i wanted an epi as soon as possible...and then the day i went into labor my contractions didn't even hurt, they were mildly annoying and stayed that way till the end, the only difference being they got more frequent, but never got painful so i skipped the epi cause there was no point
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 1:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Sleeping, we're about half way through that book right now! :-)
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2011