What can I do about my couch problem? (might be mean)

So we bought a simple cheap sofa/couch when we first moved in, the couch is 2 years old. Now its really really messed up. The purpose of a cheap one was so we didnt have to worry about the kids spilling drinks or spitting up and stuff. But now the actual springs are popping out the bottom and the sofa is bent, the pillows u sit on fall in/down the couch, because some of my family memeber are really fat. when they get up seriously there is a hole in the couch. i really want a new one (another cheap one till the boys are atleast idk 5) but my husband says theres no point cuz the same thing will happen to a new one. And I dont want to be rude and tell fat people "no you cant sit there" but what am i supposed to do? what would u do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Buy a new sofa. Springs popping out isn't safe to have around your kids.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• You get a better couch. You dont have to get a new one you can get a used couch that is better made.

Answer by gemgem at 12:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• go to a thrift store and see if you can find another one. Obviously it would be reprehensible to tell some people (the over weight ones) not to sit on your couch. There is always the option of couch covers! I have a super comfy purple couch. I Love that it is purple, but this is a hand me down from my sister and my nephews did a number on this poor couch, it's pretty ugly, but I got sage sofa covers (they didnt have purple :( ) to spruce it up.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I don't think it is because they are fat. It's most likely because it is just a cheap couch. It's like the saying goes, You get what you pay for.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 12:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I agree, a better made used couch seems to be your best option. Look for something sturdy and slipcover it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I can't understand why you "had" to buy a cheap sofa. I have young children, and my furniture isn't "messed up". They are not allowed to eat or drink anywhere except for the table, and they have to wash their hands after eating... There is never an occasion for a mess to occur if you're responsible.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Like others have said, they do have some quality made couches at thrift stores. And slipcovers work wonders :)
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 12:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I would go to a thrift store and get a new one.. Springs are not safe for the little ones. You can also look on craigslist for people giving away free stuff in your area. Sometimes they have furniture, usually ugly-but with a little cleaning and putting a sheet or a couch cover over it will solve the problem.

Good luck!
    RiaChristine

Answer by RiaChristine at 12:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• you can buy furniture off of craigslist at least you can get an older but yet better couch for a cheap price just cause they want to get rid of it. i went through my fair share of couches too, fancy ones, white ones, pull out bed ones, now i got a leather one. i feel for you...i know how it is to try to get that perfect one that can hold up to anyone and anything.

or go to garage sales, they should be starting soon.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I agree with some of the pps- I think it's because the couch is broken, not because you have fat family members. lol Anyway, you can get a good used couch for a very good price if you look around. You don't have to go with 'cheap and broken'. Check thrift stores and craigslist, and ask family members if they know anyone that has one to get rid of. Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:30 PM on Mar. 9, 2011