Still not sleeping through the night at 8 months??

SORRY SO LONG

I will start off this post by saying....Yes, my baby is spoiled. He sleeps with me, and has slept with me since he was newborn. My baby was premature and large heart murmur, he also had jaundice (breastfeeding), and he was hospitalized at 3 weeks old for meningitis. I have thus kept my baby very close to me to monitor his breathing. Well now the murmur has gotten better and he doesnt turn blue, Doctors say that it is nearly closed completely on its own.

So, I have been putting my baby to sleep and placing him in his crib....He stays there for about 3-4hours and then he wakes up to nurse (and I keep him in the bed....I knw I shouldnt but I fall asleep breastfeeding him). Throughout the course of the night he wakes up at least 3 times to nurse. He is exclusively breastfed (no formula or supplimenting). He also does solids 3 times a day (breakfast cereal, a veggie, and a fruit....also he does gerber snacks and a sippy cup with water).

Since he has been born--there has not been one night that I have been able to sleep a solid 6-8hours without him waking up.

Is this normal???? What can I do to get him to sleep through the night??? Has anyone else experienced this???

RiaChristine

Asked by RiaChristine at 12:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah it's normal. He'll sleep through the night when he's ready, and that may not be any time soon.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Your baby is not spoiled, he's a BABY. Yes, this is normal. Many babies are legitimately hungry during the night. If you suspect he's NOT, you can try other methods of comfort first, and see if it helps him fall asleep. If not, then nurse. There's nothing you can do to get him to STTN, short of getting a time machine and jumping a few years into the future :) And as far as thinking you shouldn't cosleep, that's up to YOU. If it's working for you, then go with it. If you want it to change, then make an effort to try to stay awake and put him back to bed after nursing. Maybe a chair in his room for middle of the night nursings?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• If you are truly serious about it, it will be hard. I understand the need to have him with you in bed but thats half your problem. Nothing is a sure thing because my son is 10mths and dont sleep through the night and i have tried EVERYTHING! But every baby is different. You need to , him out of your bed, feed him less during the night, don't let him fall asleep eating and you don't fall asleep feeding him. Try patting him to sleep saying shh shh shh and try that before taking him out of his bed, he may not NEED to eat, he waking out of habit. maybe even pump and give him a bottle at night to make it easier not to fall asleep with him in your bed??

Good luck, let me know how you make out,, now i need help of my own..lol
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• He is NORMAL and not at all spoiled. Even if he was in his own crib, it's not likely he'd sleep more than a couple of hours. Waking is a survival mechanism, and considering his initial problems his survival mechanism is more finely honed.

His sleep length is actually pretty darned good!

As for you? Well, my mom assured me that the toll for the mom gig was never getting more than 3-4 hours at a time ever again. I'm eleven years into it... and so far she's RIGHT! And it's not always my son... he sleeps better than I do!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Oh girl, my 21 month old still doesn't sleep through the night and hasn't since she was a baby. It's rough! I've had so many mom's tell me she'll start sleeping through the night soon but my goodness.....almost 2 years later! Give me a break kid! If you find something that works please let me know! Mine was breastfed too so I know they wake up more often to eat because breast milk is digested faster. Good luck, really I hope you find something that works for you and baby.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yeah, my 5 year old still doesn't STTN other then once in a great while.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• The day I became a mother I stopped getting a good nights sleep. I haven't gotten more than 3 -4 hrs in a row in almost 9 yrs. BTW Sleeping through the night is defined as 3-5 hrs of uninterrupted sleep. All 3 of mine wake up at least once in the night & they are 2, 6, & 9 & heck DH wakes me gettign out of bed in the night. Oh & yeah your baby isn't spoiled he's a normal baby!
    mamabens

Answer by mamabens at 1:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I hate to tell you this but my son did not sleep through the night till he was atleast 2 and I have an almost 11 month old little girl that is exclusivly breastfed besides some table foods who wakes up every two-3 hrs a night to nurse. I believe she still does this because I am like her pacifier lol because she wont actually take a real one and so if she wakes up and my nipple isnt in her mouth she freakes out lol. And I also put her in the crib once she falls asleep at night but after the first couple of times of waking up she just stays with me. I just dont have the heart to take away her only comfort at night time atleast not when shes this young. They will sleep through they night when there ready trust me or you can just be like some moms and go cold turkey but I do not recomment that AT ALL. Best of luck and remember when your up at night there are thousands more of us up at the same time :)
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• So sorry. I feel your pain. My son is 8 months and he still doesn't sleep through the night either :(
    walkintherain

Answer by walkintherain at 3:01 PM on Mar. 10, 2011

• mine took forever to sleep through the nite it will pass and now it isn't even an issue
    just another phase
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 13, 2011