Has anyone had trouble with their milk supply while on birth control?

My LO is 8 mo. , on solids, but still nursing 6 times a day. I started an estrogen based birth control pill about a month ago and my milk supply decreased dramatically, especially in one breast. Not only is this a problem for obvious reasons, but when she has trouble getting milk, she sometimes bites me....not good. I stopped taking the pills my first week into my second month on them (this week) and I am wondering if my milk supply with rebound and how quickly.

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Estrogen-based birth control is off limits while nursing, due specifically to this problem. Yes, it will rebound but will take a lot of nursing, pumping and lots of water on your part.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• By the way... the solids need to follow nursing. Too many solids is as dangerous as estrogen, so make sure solids are "dessert" to the main meal of breastmilk.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I used depo (dont recommend it though for other reasons) and didnt have an effect on milk supply... But your dr. should know which ones do effect (i think most pill based ones do?... i dont know been to long! lol)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• dumb question..... but why are u taking BC????? Do you have your period even though you are breast feeding????

I never did and it was well after I stopped breastfeeding that I got a period. Just curious. everything we eat, drink or take goes to the baby through the breast milk...... So just wondering why
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 1:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yeah...it came back at 6 mo. :(
    siren77

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yep! I was breastfeeding and had to get my IUD removed when my baby was 8 months. They put me on birth control pills and being that I was a first time breast feeder and pretty naive I didn't know that taking those birth control pills would dry up my supply, and it totally did. I tried for a few weeks to get my supply back but nothing helped and by then my daughter was used to a bottle because obviously I had to give her something to eat.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• mine lowered my supply immediatly after i started taking it
    My_o_me_x_3

Answer by My_o_me_x_3 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• u can use the mini pill and it helped me make more milk!!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2011