Do you let kids win at games?

Do you let kids win at games? Cards, board games, video games? NO WAY I do... I exist to teach little people that life is hard and grown-ups kick ass.

kalynskorner

Asked by kalynskorner at 12:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• no ..because when you do that you don't help them get ready for the real world where sometime they will fall ..they just have to learn how to get back up and dust theirselves off and try again!
    mztxdelta

Answer by mztxdelta at 9:20 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Not every time, but some. Who wants to play with someone who has to win all the time? That's no fun for kids or adults.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:49 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I agree, not everytime, but you dont want to crush them either also depends on age. Bigger kids can take losing a little more.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Depends on the game and age of the child. I will also HELP them figure it out, occasionally I'll make a delibrate mistake at cards b/c hey I do want them to enjoy and learn. They need to learn how to win AND lose. So I try to balance it out.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• It depends. My oldest child is not yet 4, but I let her win at Memory and matching games, because I think it helps her develop her memory (and it wouldn't be any fun for her if I made all of the matches). But with games of chance, like Chutes & Ladders or Candyland, I let the game just play out.
    jilby

Answer by jilby at 1:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2011

• Heck, yeah! Not every time. But, yeah, letting my granddaughter win is as much fun for me as it is for her. Sure, life is full of hard knocks & disappointments. But, games are supposed to be fun. What kind of fun is it when you lose all the time. Besides, how fair is it to pit a child & an adult against each other in a game & have the adult win EVERY time? Kids need to experience that winning feeling to help build self esteem. And, they also need to experience the loss. But, teaching them to win & lose gracefully is part of the learning experience. Just beating them in games all the time tends to make them think they can't win at anything. What a sad lesson to teach.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• It depends on whether or not I have an unfair advantage. Trouncing my 3-year-old child at Gator Golf gives me no satisfaction. If it's a game of chance, no. And as she gets older, I don't expect to have to do so anymore.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Depends. If it's a game of chance (like Candy Land) then whoever wins wins. If it's a game of skill (like cards or something) I don't try as hard because I obviously have 20+ years of experience on them and it wouldn't be fair. I would win every single game and they would just get frustrated and it wouldn't be fun.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• sometimes. winning...and losing...teaches about sportsmanship, strategy, self-esteem, critical thinking, and so on.
    Funny thing is, now i do try my best to win becasue he's good at games...he beats me 'fair and square' a majority of the time!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• i teach my kids to play fair, and to accept their win or loss. there's no need to purposely let your child win everytime, what exactly is that teaching them? and how will they react at someone else's home who does not let them win? most games are about luck anyway, and my 4 year old has beat me plenty of times in chutes & ladders and stuff but not because i let her.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2011