Would you give your under-aged child alcohol at home?

Would you give your under-aged child alcohol at home? It’s becoming popular in U.S. households.

A new study shows that more than 700,000 kids in the U.S. ages 12-14 are drinking alcohol. And a large percentage of the kids are getting the alcohol from their parents.

In the past month, more than 200,000 kids were given alcohol by a parent or other adult family member, according to a report from the U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).

According to SAMHSA, 45 percent got alcohol from a parent or other family member or they took it from their home without permission.

We got tons of comments on our Smart Family Facebook page, with the majority of people disagreeing with the trend. But some parents say it’s a cultural thing, that they grew up with their parents giving them sips of wine and now they barely drink at all.

So what do you do if you drink alcohol and you don’t want to feel like a hypocrite in front of your kids?

kalynskorner

Asked by kalynskorner at 12:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Our 10 yr has had a sip of beer and did not like it... nor does he like the smell of any of the alcohol we may have or had in our house , but that was out of curiosity... As an infant I have rubbed whiskey on sore gums to help with teething..
    But to voluntarily allow him to drink in our presence for the fun or kicks of it, is a flat NO... My sister allows her underage son to
    drink in her presence, but I didn't do it with my dd's nor am I going to allow my grandson to do it...
    I personally do not believe that is setting good standards with a child/children/teenagers by allowing them to drink whenever
    as long as they are at home, but to ea their own...
    But the sad thing is tho, is that some of these same parents will allow not only their own children, but others children to drink
    in their house...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• No, I know it's becoming popular, but there is truth to the saying "What is popular is not always right and what is right is not always popular."
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• NO!
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 12:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Absolutely not.
    ARgal

Answer by ARgal at 12:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• No way!!
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 12:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• No, I don't have alcohol in my home. I am not a drinker.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I am actually someone who thinks sheltering your kids doesnt help them. My kids are allowed a glass of wine with dinner when they get older, but I am talking over 18 and the drinking age is 21. But under 18? No.

Answer by gemgem at 1:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• This is nothing new. Its just hitting where it shouldn't and therefore bringing attention. This happend when I was growing up. Some parents feel that they would rather have thier child drinking at home than in the streets. As a teen, I had a few sips here and there but it was done in descretion and under the supervision of my parents. Our whiskey sours had more sour than whiskey...now none of us drink!
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• angelmine, you are wrong, it is NOT illegal to allow your underage children to drink in your home! Before you speak do some research!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• My mom is Argentine & you can betcha that we had alcohol at the table & were certainly allowed to drink it. Funny thing is, I think kids who are raised in families who are allowed to drink at the table like we were, are less likely to become alcoholics as adults. Alcohol was not glamorized in our family, it was just part of the dinner table. Me and none of my 6 siblings are alcoholics. We all only drink occasionally.

If i think my DD is old enough to have a glass of wine at our table, i don't see anything wrong with it. But, that is how i was raised. I have a very European family though, it is the norm to drink wine with your food.

I also think sheltering your kids does them much more harm to be quite honest...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2011