My question is, is anyone else worried about how they are going to afford Christmas?

It's been a VERY tough year for everyone financially. The economy has affected everyone, I understand and appreciate that there are very few that have't been affected by it. My family has been hit very hard, but we have also had a few additional unique circumstances that have added an additional strain on our budget (moving earlier this year and the writer's strike which has GREATLY affected my DH's business to name a couple).
I'm not talking about anything extravigant, just a few gifts for my kids. My 4 YO is who I'm worried about in particular, he has very specific things he'd like and any old dollar store toy won't due, (he's been spoiled by Christmases past.) I'm also hoping to buy for my 20 mo. too, but she's not so picky and won't notice if she only gets one or two things. We can barely feed our family lately, so I just don't know how we are going to afford Christmas, even just the basics.

Kickez

Asked by Kickez at 6:54 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Money & Work

• Yep. I am sweating it pretty bad. Economy has destroyed me this year. Interest rates went up on my cc causing higher payments. I have constantly been robbing peter to pay pay. Gas for the car didn't help with those prices. I have sat my boys down and explained that it will be very bare this year. I told them that one day I will make it up to them. They were good with it. Must have did sometthing right raising them on my own. :-)
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 6:59 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• It might be to late but some towns have churches that helps families in need. I have 3 kids in school and my youngest got a letter from a church asking if we needed any help so I filled out the page. We don't attend the church and last year we got help from them to. It was two toys each kid, two outfits, socks adn shoes. It was a lot of help and they went out of their way. It was nice to get extra help it relieved us some. This year I am getting some money back from my college and putting towards christmas. I try to catch sales each weekend.
    Anonymous

• I am in the same boat as you. I am just getting one outfit for my son this christmas. I am not going to get him toys this year. In the past he would at least get two or three. Thank god I only have one son. I dont need to worry about husband since I don't have one. I had to miss work for several days this past week cause my son got sick and I just had to take care of him. So my hours got cut, what can I do. The only thing that is helping me right now is that I sell avon and that is how I am going to pay some of my bills.
    browneyes.

Answer by browneyes. at 7:06 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I am sorry to hear about your tough time. I wonder about all those people who spend so much money, and when they have a bad year, the kids are so spoiled that they don't appreciate the things they do get. I can't believe that a 4 yr old would be that picky or even that materialistic.

I would worry about being able to afford food on the table than having material things for your child. Reallly think about it, will you be wondering why you don't have any food on the table the week after Christmas, when you just spent a bunch on specific toys for your child. Does he really watch that much tv that his mind had been filled with all the toys he wants for Christmas?
    Anonymous

• I am losing my mind over this christmas! I am a SAHM and my Dh worked. Just about a month ago he quit his job, left us, and moved 2 hours away. He was our only source of income and now I'm looking for work, but nobody seems to be hiring!! I don't know how I'm going to afford Christmas for my son, but I know that someway I will be able to do something. My birthday is Christmas day and I'm thinking that if I can't get anything for my son before then, then I will use the money I get for my birthday, I always get at least $50 from family and just rush out and get him something. It sucks!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 7:49 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I agree with Anon.... A four year old shouldn't be that concerned about it. I think it's something you should break now b/c you can't always afford to give your children the best toys. They need to learn to appreciate the small things, the yummy cookies and christmas dinner.
    Try Toys for Tots, it's not too late. At least in Pa there is still a sign up in December. Also local churches can help you. Good luck!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I can barely afford my rent let alone Christmas. I have 2 young boys and a new baby on the way. My husband has been trying to get into the National Guard with no success. It is going to be really tough this year. I am also looking for help.
    littlemama9130

Answer by littlemama9130 at 7:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• It's been my experience most preschoolers get a case of the "gimmes" when they see ads for toys they want (as in the case of my DS). I wouldn't say my DS is overly materalistic. Moreover I try to explain the concept of counting blessings & how we have SO much more than ALOT of kids. He's a very tender-hearted boy, & even ask me about things I'd like to have, & tells me "well you can go and buy it," & offers up his own money frm his piggy bank. My concern: I'd like to keep some magic in Christmas, & would like to perpetuate the fantasy of Santa, I have very pleasent memories of this from my childhood. He thinks Santa can bring what ever he wants. It's not that he's materalstic as much as he doesn't understand how much things cost & the need to budget (he's only 4 after all).
    Kickez

Answer by Kickez at 8:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• My birthday is also Christmas day (the big 40 no less). My DH and I aren't exchanging gifts.
    Kickez

Answer by Kickez at 8:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• not worried - i started making financial plans in july to make sure there was enough for this year -plus my businesses really started growing with the economy being bad and everyone looking for additional areas of personal income

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 8:10 PM on Nov. 22, 2008