Would you give your under-aged child alcohol at home?

kalynskorner

Asked by kalynskorner at 12:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Um no and if anyone ever told the Cops that you have, you can be charged in some if not most states
    Jersey_class

Answer by Jersey_class at 12:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• No, I know it's becoming popular, but there is truth to the saying "What is popular is not always right and what is right is not always popular."
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• At 18 or so my adult child will be a allowed a beer or glass of wine at home only. My child only, not his/her buddies. The drinking age is completely insane. 18 to smoke, 18 to enlist but 21 to drink?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• It depends on the age and all that. On special occasions I was given a small glass of wine at the dinners, but that's about it. Also depends on the kid. My sister has the common sense that god gave a moose, so she was caught once sneaking off to drink some more wine and that was it for her. She wasn't allowed it after that.

when my 21st birthday rolled around I didn't even drink that night, or for a while after that. since I'd had alcohol here and there in small taste amounts right along I think I had a much healthier attitude about it. It was no big deal to me.
    Anonymous

• It depends on their age and their maturity. At 8, no, at sixteen, maybe, 17-20 probably yes. In my state it is legal for the parents to allow their children to drink in their home with the parent's permission. After living in Germany where at 14 you can drink, I see nothing wrong with it. Will I allow my child to get drunk, no, but a drink here and there at dinner time is not going to do any harm.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yes, but the first time will be for religious reasons. I grew up in a household where alcohol was not this "evil" "forbidden" thing. And the outcome was that when my peers were having drunken high school parties I had no interest. I thought it was stupid and still do. But the first "alcohol" I ever had was kosher wine as part of our family's Passover seder. I was allowed t have a sip. Many other culures allow their children to have small amount of alcohol - usually with meals. The consequence is that they have less alcoholism and almost no drunk driving.
    This is my opinion and I know others will think differently. Also please be aware that by the age of 13 one is considered an "adult" in the Jewish community. With all of the resonsibilities of their own religious well being.
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 12:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• no we don't drink so i don't see why my kids would
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 1:01 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• no, but i dont drink either.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 1:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• In america you are considered responsible enough to choose who runs the country, repsinsible enough to be able to choose to killnd die for your country, yet you're not responsible enough to have a beer.
    Does anyone have a rational reason for that?
    I live in england anyway, so it's 18 here.

There is nothing evil about alcohol. My DD is three, and has seen me drink with many meals. She can start having a small part when she's late teens and when she can show me she's responsible. The age depends on her. I'd never give another child alcohol.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 2:55 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• wildflowers, if you live in chicago it's illegalto go outside if you are 'deformed or unsightly.' If your child had a visual differencewould you keep them indoors 24 hrs a day, because 'that's the law'?
    You'd be okay with being arrested for being an athiest in Vermont because 'that's the law'?

I want to teach my child reponsible behaviour, which includes realising which laws are downright stupid.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 3:03 AM on Mar. 10, 2011