Pacifier question

How long did you let your baby use a pacifier? At what age did you start to take it away?

ss1436

Asked by ss1436 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• All three of my babies used them. My oldest got rid of it around 20 months. I noticed a hole in it at nap time and told him it was broken and I had to throw it away. That was the end of it. At that time his little brother also had one but we had written "A"s and "H"s on them so my oldest ds knew which was his (He knew that his name started with H and his brother's started with A). We just made sure all the "H" ones were thrown away. With ds #2 I thought for sure it was going to be a battle. He was 26 months and he just lost them all around the house. We couldn't find one for three days. When he finally found one we just quick took it and threw it away. He was fine for those 3 days and we weren't turning back. My dd will be two in August. Most likely around June I will cut her back to just nap / bedtime and then I am thinking maybe as it gets closer to Christmas we will mail them to Santa to give to another baby.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 1:45 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Those things are HEAVEN...to me.

My dd is 5 weeks old and all she wanted to do was nurse...24/7. I couldnt even go to the bathroom. I also have two other children I have to take care of so I couldnt just sit and nurse all day.

Not to mention my nipples were turning a nice shade of raw red...lol

She didnt want it at first but finally she took it! Hallelluia!

Both my other children had their paci till they were 2. Around age 1 we made it only a bed time thing...it didnt leave the bed. Then at 2 it was gone all together.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• my ds is almost 19 months old and he still takes one, but only at nap time and bed time
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I didn't have to take it away, she was never much into them. I think she stopped wanting one after about 6 months.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My son never really liked them, he always spit them out. With my niece, she was attached, but I would just try other methods of calming her before I resorted to the pacifier.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 12:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Those things are evil!
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 12:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2011