My almost 2 year old son has...

a virus I guess but the Dr. said he doesn't have an ear infection but has fluid in his ears... what does that mean??? My husband and I are not together so his parents took my son to the Dr. cause it is my husbands day with him. So I wasn't there to ask but I have no idea what that mean?? Thank u...

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 1:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There isn't any medication to "dry up" the fluid. It's not uncommon for kids to have fluid behind their ears, but is a problem if it stays there. If there is no infection, no need for medication. Even if there is an infection, many peds are now waiting a couple days for antibiotics to give the body a chance to fight it on its own.

Answer by missanc at 1:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• mean the drainage tubes that go from the rat to the throat are clogged more than likely with snot from a recent cold. So the fluid has built up behind the ear drum. the fluid that has built up is not infected. It may drain on it's own or get infected later. IME
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• call and ask THAT DR. and they still should have given something to dry up the fluid so that a ear infection doesnt occur. otherwise... be ready to take him back the more fluid that builds up.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 1:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Means he has fluid stuck behind his eardrums. Fluid isn't supposed to build up behind the eardrums, it's supposed to drain on it's own. When it consistantly doesn't, that's when kids get tubes so it can drain. If the fluid stays built up it can cause an infection so it is a concern but it sounds like it hasn't yet caused a problem.
    Anonymous

• Ok.... thanks I will call the Dr. I guess to see what's up cause it doesn't sound normal
    ktinaza

Comment by ktinaza (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2011