If you have/would open a daycare.

Would you open it in your own home? Or rent a place and do the daycare out of there? my hubby wants me to open a daycare, but I really don't want to do it in our home, our house is not that big, small living room, spare room type, and only 2 bedrooms, ours and our sons. He thinks I wouldn't make any money renting a place and starting one.

Ambie0526

Asked by Ambie0526 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• I know that in Michigan, we had to have an inspection of our furnace as well as making sure that our water was turned down to 120 degrees (I believe). We had to have one person on site all the time there were kids there that was CPR certified, we had to have a criminal background check and fingerprinting. There were also requirements like having a written discipline policy posted in the house, menus, etc that I don't remember all the specifics on.

We were able to download the full registration packet and manual online through our home website by searching "home daycare requirements"

Good luck!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 2:23 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I would do it in your own home. You could get small things done around the house and when your child goes to school you wouldn't have to worry who is goign to pick your child up he/she can ride the bus home. You wouldn't have to leave your home everyday and go to work.
    Anonymous

• i do childcare in my home, but i am not state certified yet nor community certified. But if i had to chose i would do it in my home
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 1:16 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I would start it in your home and make sure you have enough kids to keep it going.
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• if i were to do something like this i'd do it in my home. we're so tight on money we couldn't afford to rent out another place anyway. but the only drawback from it is you can only take as many kids as your house can provide. in a place you rent, you could probably put more cribs/beds or other things in there.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My sister and I ran a daycare out of her home, but it had some space. In all honesty though, the kids were either in the play room or in the living room unless it was lunch time. I definitely agree that the rent would eat a big chunk of your profits, and, I may be wrong here, but I am thinking that if it is not out of your home and it is in rented commercial property, the regulations may be different.

I will say that we didn't notice the "impact" kids have on a house so much when we either had fewer children (2-4 versus the full 6-12), or when it was nice out and we could do more outside easily.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I started my home daycare back in 2005 & am still doing it today...I do it from my home...I have a huge downstairs where we play...I have 3 bedrooms...2 bathrooms...big backyard...
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• What do you need for a local small home daycare? I mean as far is classes to take etc. I am a mom and have experience with kids. I also have a CNA/home health aid/ CPR but thats about it. ANy information would be great I have been tossing this idea around in my head for awhile.
    piorkowski

Answer by piorkowski at 2:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2011