If you work from home, what do you do?

I do photography and run our multimedia business.

EwansMommy

Asked by EwansMommy at 1:15 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• i do, but i was lucky enough to be in a special situation. I worked for a company that allowed us to work from home as often as needed, so when the mother office decided to close, I just started working from home full time and so far ( knock on wood) they are not ready to let me go. i work in telecommunications.
    isaboo22

Answer by isaboo22 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• That is awesome I used to help a lady to do something like that now just work customer service.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Hmm Thats a tough one. I have looked online and everything looks so fake. I asked my hubby what I could do from home being as I am a SHAM and he said " Babysit a few days a week the house is childproof and we already have toys, beds, etc." So maybe a sitter for my friends with kids and family. I see his point I am already at home daily watching kids might as well add 1 more in the mix and get paid for it.
    piorkowski

Answer by piorkowski at 1:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I was tutoring English but taking a break from it now to get ready for baby. If you're talented in anything or fluent in another language, tutor.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I am a history buff, I play the clarinet and saxophone. And I love to craft I have made picture frames, hair bows, dream catchers, I just started working with leather to make my hubby a wallet. I like to bounce around and learn what I can.

piorkowski

Answer by piorkowski at 1:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Piorkowski, I did that for a few months before our business took off. Just a heads up, it might throw off the dynamic of your family a little. It took its toll on our son who was 2 at the time so we decided it wasn't worth the extra money. Luckily right around the same time we started getting more customers so it worked out in the end.

Is there a particular subject you're good at or do you know how to play an instrument? Maybe you could offer tutoring or private lessons in your home. You can advertise on craigslist for free. Or maybe if you're good at sewing, knitting or crafts you could open a store on etsy.com and sell some of your creations.

Either way, good luck!
    EwansMommy

Comment by EwansMommy (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I tutored for my college's online campus for a long time, which let me work exclusively through home, and I was guaranteed an hourly rate, and paid on a schedule, which I loved.

Now I continue to tutor some of my old students online and some more local students in my home. I have to organize payments and charges on my own, but it is still good for our budget.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:49 PM on Mar. 9, 2011