When do babies stop eating everything they touch?

Dd is 15 mos and still eats everything that gets ahold of. I want to take her outside, but I end up spending more time taking rocks and grass and dirt out of her mouth than we do playing. When does this usually stop?

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 1:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• lol my 13 month old is the same way. i think it stops around 18 months, when they have less desire to taste everything they touch.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:23 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• It depends on the child. My oldest put everything in his mouth for a long time - he was still doing it at 3. My now 2 year old has never put anything in his mouth - he's been so easy about that!

Answer by missanc at 1:23 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My older son never did this but my 16 month old loves to put dog food in his mouth. I am hoping this phase doesn't last too long.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 1:26 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Totally normal. My girls pediatrician told me it is like the sense of touch for them. Helps them learn. Although, it can be scary when your child puts something harmful in their mouth. From my experience at about 2 years old is when my daughter stopped (my oldest) my youngest who is 19 months still puts everything in her mouth so we will see when she stops. Dog food is her favorite, also! I don't understand it lol.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I think they all do that. I dont know if it will end untill shes older.
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2011