how long do you breastfeed for??

misty91

Asked by misty91 at 7:02 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

• As long as you want. The WHO recommends 2 years.  I think the AAP says a year.  I'm going for 2 years.  I'll meet my goal in 4 months and my son will wen when he's ready.

Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I have nursed all 6 of my kids and it seems each one is longer than the next the longest so far was 3 years
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 7:09 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I had 4 kids and never breastfed till my last. But my milk quit coming in at 4 months. But I prob would have gone till at least a year
    Anonymous

• As long as you and the baby want to.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I made it 7 months....then my body really just quit producing. (I know they tell you the supply and demand stuff.....it didn't matter for me). The truth is as long as you want too.....sure it's good for your baby but if it's driving you crazy then you need to weigh the benefits vs sanity. :) Good luck!
    alexsmom713

Answer by alexsmom713 at 8:00 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• im going to for a year :) i dont think I could stand any longer. They are almost a toddler. No offense to anybody but I dont believe in doing it til they are 3 or 4. They are old enough to drink from a cup and stuff. But I guess it wouldnt be bad if you pumped...
    Marah2008

Answer by Marah2008 at 8:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I breastfed my dd until she was 11 months old. She never even took a bottle lol she went straight to a sippy cup at about 8 months(pumped milik when i wasnt around) and then aruond 11 months she just drank out of a sippy cup all the time. i am currently pregnant and will breastfeed until this one is ready to stop.......i think it just depends on the child.
    SuperMommy0212

Answer by SuperMommy0212 at 8:33 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Go as long as it feels right to you and your baby but aim for at least a year. I did for 15 months and I wish I would have gone longer.
    jen_0898

Answer by jen_0898 at 8:46 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• As long as you and baby want. I nursed for 18 months and still nurse occasionally (he is 21 months). You can even tandem nurse. My aunt nursed for 4 years.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 8:48 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• With my daughter 9 months and with my son 6 months...the reason I stopped for both was teeth it was killing me them biting on me..but it really depends on the person although I personnaly believe that if the baby can unhook your bra its time to stop lol.
    nikki10301

Answer by nikki10301 at 9:06 PM on Nov. 22, 2008