Do you think magazines, bras and thongs for young girls....

Encourages them to explore their sexuality early?

I'm beginning to think it does. I'm seeing bras in the little girl department. I know girls start wearing them at the age of 10 or 11 but they're not training bras, they're like grown-up lacey bras. Not to mention thongs.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 1:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I don't see a problem with bras. I had to wear a "real" bra when I was 10 (I was a B cup already) but I wouldn't buy my pre-teen daughter thongs.
    PhoenixsMommy10

Answer by PhoenixsMommy10 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• i can see bras...but thongs?? wow, i mean i started wearing thongs when i was 13 and thinking back my mother shouldve whipped me cuz thats too young. My daughter will not be allowed things like that until she is 18 or out of my house and its kind of funny coming from me , but i do feel that it encourages them to express their sexuality early , it did for me.
    PrettyBaby24

Answer by PrettyBaby24 at 1:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• When I was growing up, bras & panties were more about fitting in with the other girls than it was about sex. If you weren't wearing a lacey padded bra and bikini undies, you didn't fit in. I'm pretty sure I was the only 6th grader who wasn't wearing a bra yet. And, EVERYONE knew it!! I was the target of some terrible teasing. My mom hated when bikini undies came into fashion. She thought the same thing that moms today think about thongs. It's all about fashion trends. My girls wore cutsie bra and panty sets because they were cute. NOT because they were testing their sexuality. I wear cute bras & panties because they make me feel good. NOT everyone else.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I will add that the cute undies for my girls were NOT thongs, though!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• No I dont think they do. I think its our job to parent and know what is going on in our dds lives so we know what they are into so we can address it before becoming a problem. My oldest dd didnt start wearing thongs until she was probably 15 and I didnt have a problem with it. She wore a bra around 10 because she needed to. I personally also did and read magazines from the time I was probably 10. My mom was pretty strict about the activities I was allowed to do and I knew right from wrong. I knew not to cross certain boundaries. My oldest dd was the same way. Now I have a 6 yr old & she is exposed to 10 times more then me or my other dd. Again, active involvement is key.

Answer by gemgem at 1:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• it does
    fitting in? How are the other girls seeing your bra and underwear?
    I'm old school. In a child,the underthings should be about covering the stuff up,not enhancing it!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Kids have to dress out start8ing in 6th grade. Thats how they know.

Answer by gemgem at 1:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Well then I guess I'd tell her tough shit. You're a child,not a grown woman. You wear what I buy,not the adult things the others wear.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• In one way, I agree with specialwingz....a lot of it is "doing what the other girls do", and not wanting to be picked on or singled out for being different.

That said, there are a lot of things "the crowd" does that I wouldn't want my daughter to be a part of just because everyone else was doing it. For example "everyone" is having oral sex, rainbow parties, doing drugs, texting naked pictures to boys, etc.

I would probably give into a colorful, yet basic, bra...simply because that is part of being "covered up", but underwear that let you "show more" would be out of the question.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• @butterflyblue - we had to change into gym suits. So, yeah, locker rooms were a real "blast". NOT! And, apparently, you've never been the target of "mean girls".
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2011