Sort of a spin-off: tooth question

So I mentioned in another question that I noticed a hole, or something, in one of my wisdom teeth. I don't know how long it's been there, as I don't really pay all that much attention to them of course... but the other day there was something stuck far back in my mouth... and when I picked it out I noticed the hole in my tooth.

So I'm wondering... could something like that cause bad breath?
I have an issue with bad breath... food smells linger there forever after I eat - when I'm out and about I always try to have gum for that reason. Even after I brush my teeth in the morning, my breath stinks again by the afternoon. And in the morning... phew! Not nice.
So could having something wrong with that far back tooth (whether it's a hole or what) cause my breath to be worse than normal?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Health

• That hole is probably a cavity. Yes, food can get stuck in it, rot and cause bad breath. But also it can harbor bacteria leading to an abcessed tooth- which if left untreated can cause the tooth to die making it weak. If that weak tooth breaks it will really cause bad breath because the nerve will have rotted on the inside of the tooth and then exposed to air.

It's something I'm dealing with (just the cavity portion) anyway. I can't afford to have it filled and I am horribly worried it will just get worse and have to be pulled :(
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 1:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yes. Tooth problems do contribute to bad breath. Go to the dentist.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I can't afford the dentist. I'm not working and it's not covered at all by Alberta Health. I'm out of luck for that right now.
    It's much bigger than a cavity... like it's either a rotted out part of my tooth, or it's the top of my tooth I can feel. It's so weird.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• call around I am sure there are Dentists that would work something out for you
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:25 AM on Mar. 10, 2011