How many & for how long should a 4 month old nap?

My baby girl just turned 4 months a few days ago, & suddendly she went from 2 two hour naps a day to a 20-30 mins in the early afternoon & 2 hr nap in evening. Is that normal, & how do I switch her routine to longer naps in the day?

My_o_me_x_3

Asked by My_o_me_x_3 at 1:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think most babies have their own napping patterns and sometimes there isn't much you can do about it. Try to keep her very active when you want her awake and when you would rather her sleep you can play quiet music, look at books, etc. but a lot of it is going to depend on her. After her 20-30 minute nap have you tried letting her cry for a couple minutes to see if she'll settle herself down and sleep longer? Does she seem well rested when it's not nap time?
    At that age, my kids took two 2 hr naps and one 1 hr nap, and slept 11 hours/night.

Answer by missanc at 1:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• It is normal. And honestly? Let her do what she wants. Too young for sleep training methods, and infants know what they need better than we do. They don't have anything interfering with the instinct that says, "You need to sleep NOW."

Answer by gdiamante at 1:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• all babies are different. when mine was 4 months she'd sleep 10 hours straight through the night, wake up to eat in the morning and then go back to sleep for 3 hours and take two 3 hour naps before 6, she still does that now at 7 months.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• You let a baby nap whenever they want and for however long they want.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• is it working for you's?
    if it it then go with it
    4 months my ds was all over the place
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 13, 2011