What do I need to do for my dog?

I got her when she was just a pup from the local animal control....(They said someone threw her out of a truck while driving)...... she was 7 weeks old and SOOO sick that it took my vet 6 months to get her strong enough for all of her shots.... we HAD to keep her from people, cats and other dogs until she was well.. So she was 6 months before we started socializing her -- and that we did... constant trips to dog parks, walking on a leash, meeting people, got her a cat, taking her on road trips.... everything you can possible do to socialize a dog.

She's going on a year and a half now -- and is THE most emotional dog I've ever seen in my life! She's scared of everything. Guns or loud pops, raised voices, doorbells, the bird feeder blowing against the window -- she runs and either tries to climb under the bed or squeeze in between you and the back of your chair.

When the Terminix man comes - he don't even ring, just does his thing and leaves.... if she sees or hears him outside she hides.... She has seen my neighbor EVERY day for 5 straight months and still runs to hide when my neighbor walks towards her (she's the same way with EVERYONE). She will shake uncontrollably like a chihuahua, sit at the top of the stairs peeking down (but refuse to come down), try to get behind couch cushions, hide in her kennel - anything she can to try to hide.

We've done everything we know to do - everything we've seen on Caesar Milan and "It's me or the dog", we've bought and read books, articles, everything we can find to help her not be so skiddish.... but we can't get her out of it. We've put treats by the door for people to give to her when they come in.... don't work... she runs as soon as the doorbell rings or someone knocks.... I'm at a loss. If we go to get her to bring her to meet the visitor - she will stick her nails in the carpet and hang on for dear life to keep from going where the person is....

She will even get all emotional sometimes just out of the blue - for no apparent reason and it takes hours to get her out of it.

Anyone ever have or deal with a dog like this? She needs to go to the kennel next week while we go on vacation... and I worry for what she's gonna be like when we get back.

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 1:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Pets

• Have you tried medication? They will give dogs valium. It sounds like your pooch would benefit from it. Poor furbaby, good luck.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Hmmm that's a tough one. I would tell the people at the kennel to be easy on her, maybe they will have some extra time to spend with her. Other than that I'm sorry your having this issue just be patient. Sometimes It just takes longer to warm up to a person. And being her abusive history I understand why she would be shy. Just be patient keep doing your research . You sound like your doing a great job. It will come together in time.

piorkowski

Answer by piorkowski at 1:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Poor pup! She must have had a really hard life before u adopted her. She was probably abused and all the other terrible things u could imagine. How long will u be gone?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Maybe you should try a professional dog whisperer (if you can afford it). You can ask your vet for advice. He/she should be well connected in the pet care community. Your vet should know websites that you can 'ask a vet'. hope that helps.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Our trip is 10 days. She's going on 2 years old... will be 2 this summer..... we've been going through this since she was 6 months old.... she will still only accept very few other dogs... I worry about her -- I worry that she can't be happy living like this. I can't bring myself to get rid of her EVER --- she is part of the family for the rest of her life... but I feel like I'm not doing what she needs done (and don't even know what THAT is)
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 1:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I wouldn't even think of getting rid of her; quite obviously she needs you. Have you tried talking to the vet about her problem?
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 10:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2011