To those that had their son cicumzised. If you didn't please don't reply if you are just going to bash the ones that did.

I just was wondering did your insurance cover it to did it come out of pocket? I heard somewhere that most insurance doesn't cover it anymore. Also they will bill you for that wont they if it isn't covered? How much does it cost for that? Also one other question did you and your dh/so other descuss it or did you say yes from the start? I don't know what I am having yet I find out in 2 weeks, but if it is a boy I said yes to cercumsision from the start I realized that I never asked dh what he thought and if he cared. Although he never said anything about it when I told the nurse yes when she asked with the other 2 and this one if I wanted it done. I just assumed I guess that he is done so I never asked him. Did you ask yours?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son is intact, but I'm going to answer, because I'm not going to bash.
    Some insurance companies cover it, and others don't. The best thing to do is contact your insurance company and ask, so you don't get stuck with a bill. If they do not cover it, and you have it done, yes, you will receive a bill. The provider would probably bill your insurance company, and upon receiving the denial, they would then bill you. I'm not sure how much it costs, but I would guess that it varies depending on where you live, who does it (ob vs surgeon vs urologist) and whether or not they use anesthesia of any kind. Price also would likely vary depending on the type of anesthesia, and the way they do the surgery.
    Yes, I did discuss this with my husband, but we did not agree. I thought yes in the beginning, but after researching it, I realized it was not something I was comfortable with, as I don't see it as medically necessary.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:15 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Kkbird, I don't know who told your neighbor that they should have been pulling the skin back, but you DO NOT retract an infants foreskin. It will retract naturally as the child gets older. No special cleaning is necessary for an intact newborn. I don't know their situation, so I can't speculate on why this boy was getting infections, but I know that if that were MY child, I'd treat the infection rather then remove the foreskin. I mean no disrespect to anyone, but I feel the need to point this out to moms who may not know that they should never retract their childs foreskin.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• With my son I said yes from the beginning. And my insurance covered it. :)
    Gchborthwick

Answer by Gchborthwick at 1:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Insurance covered it, so I don't know anything about the cost. My husband and I agreed from the start, but yes we did discuss it.

Answer by missanc at 1:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Ours was a religious ceremony, so insurance did not cover it. I think my in-laws insisted on paying. It wasn't much anyway.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Insurance covered my son's. It was my decision, I didn't care what his father thought because he was/is doing nothing to help me support this child financially or emotionally.
    Anonymous

• We said yes from the beginning and insurance covered it =)
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• in 2004 SON WAS. BUT ins WOULD NOT COVER IT!!!! we had to pay it UPFRONT before they would do it. alittle over 400.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 1:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Our insurance covered it, too. I'd be surprised if they didn't. And my husband and I briefly talked about it, but it was a short conversation. We both thought it would be a good idea.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• i asked my dh his opinion and he said "well yeah he's going to have it done" lol and my dad suggested my ds have it done and insurance did cover it
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2011