How to deal with terrible 2s!

everything has started to escalate now. She started being fussy here and there and now its everytime we go out she screams cries throws things makes herself go limp when we try to walk her out. weve tried taking her to the car to let her fuss it out and once were in the store it starts all over. I cant get her to use the potty she will change her own pull ups but she will not use the potty and if i have her sit on it she screams cries and starts yelling no! Im at my wits end ive tried time outs and drawing her attention to some sort of activity but she just refuses everything! Somebody help me here?? Ive only had past experiances with infants so this is my first experiance dealing with something like this and it makes feel like im doing something wrong somewhere... ( she is my oldest)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try a time-out in your lap. Most kids don't like the feeling of being restrained. Just sit her in your lap and hold her hands gently but firm. Tell her what she did wrong and say time-out for two minutes (you know the 1 min/yr). Let her cry and try to wiggle, but keep her there. When it's done tell her you love her and let her go play (if you are home). If she does it again (like as soon as you put her down) imediately give her another time-out. This has helped with our DD (almost 2 1/2). It is only advice from my personal experience. Good luck
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 1:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Oh man, it's so tough on the parents when your oldest starts a new phase. Try rewarding good behavior. Some call this bribery but if it works, so be it. As adults, when we do a good job, we are rewarded. When you are entering a store, look her in the eye and say "If you are a good girl and sit quietly in the cart while I shop, we will get a treat, go to grandmas, play a special game, whatever. Be prepared to actually follow through, though. Same goes for discipline, too. For example, if our son has to be told several times to do something, he loses his Wii playing priviledges. If he walks/runs away from us in the store, he gets in the cart. If he starts to walk away we remind him one time by saying "Remember, if you walk away, you get in the cart. Would you like to think about your decision?" Most times he stays with us but there are times when that toy just catches his eye and he's gone. (cont.)
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 2:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Those times he gets in the cart.

As for potty training, I can only say what worked for us and that is this: we gave up. No really. We just said "He knows how to use it, he's just not ready yet." So we left the potty chair in the bathroom and decided he wasn't going to go to Kindergarten in pull ups but until that became an actual threat, it wasn't worth the stress and arguments. Literally the next morning he woke up and said "I don't want to wear pull ups anymore. Can I wear my big boy undies?". He was a month shy of his 3rd birthday then. He's almost 4 1/2 now and has had maybe five accidents since that day.

What we did have trouble with is sleeping in his own bed. For that we got him a calendar and some stickers. We said, "When you sleep all night in your own bed, you get a sticker on that day. When you have 30 stickers, you can go to Chuck E. Cheese's." Do you know as long as we reminded him, he did it?!
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 2:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Maybe a sticker reward system like that would work for potty training, too?

Anyway, good luck. Keep your chin up and know that you are not alone and it's nothing you're doing wrong. You're here asking for help, that's a great sign of a great parent!
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 2:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2011