Should I get rid of our dog?

We got a puppy a few months ago because Dh really wanted one. I didn't want to deal with a hyper puppy so wanted an older dog...but we got a puppy. Well I'm home all day with the dog and most nights with her and she is driivng me nuts. She knocks my daughter over and has drawn blood a few times dragging her teeth across her skin. My husband gets mad when I say I want to give her away but I can't take it anymore!! When my husband is home he doesn't spend much time with her anyway and never walks her unless I nag. Would it be horrible if I gave her away and got a cat, something I really want and would have an easier time taking care of?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:11 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Pets

• The advice for your question is not a simple one to answer. A puppy needs your intire family to coperate in the training of your dog. If you never have had a puppy, then please get some profestional help in a good training method for novices. Even when you have kids, you learned from your parents how to train or teach them. You have a great start with a pup as they don't know what is expected of them yet. So like a child they need to be taught. Dogs also only live in the moment. So when a correction is made it needs to be done at that second and done right so they do learn. If you have any resorces for a trainer or classes to take your puppy to, with your fmaily included , thats my suggestion, so you get off on the right paw! Petland offers training classes that are resonalbe and they do a good job to get things rolling. Wished you lived near by I would love to help you out.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 4:18 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• She's a pup right now, and that's what they do. i always say they are worse than a new baby. LOL. She should overcome her hyperness, Just keep training her, she should get better. You are better off to get a new puppy vs an older dog though escpically with kids..That's my opinion though

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 7:14 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Is there any way you could afford a crate? That way even though the puppy might whine and cry till she gets used to it( she eventually will love having her own "house") it might be a worthwhile investment, so you can have some control over her until she grows out of the hyper stage. What breed is she? Just remember she is a baby, too, and try not to be too impatient.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 7:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I think you and your DH should have had a longer discussion BEFORE you got the dog. You should have considered who would be spending the majority of the time with the puppy, among MANY other things. This puppy needs to be trained, loved, and have people dedicated to making it a family member. I think you should make every last stitch effort to allow the pet to fit into your family. I do basic obedience training, as well as partner in a dog daycare and boarding facility. Too often one sees a cute puppy and makes a spur of the moment decision to take on the pup, without considering there is some serious work ahead of them. I hope you can find a way to keep your dog, and I'd be glad to have you contact me with any questions, as I believe the more information you have, the more likely you will be to succeed in this new relationship with a pup that needs you very much!
    OregonJeka

Answer by OregonJeka at 7:46 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I know i say get a crate in most post's for puppy training but to be honest they are awesome. When she jumps on your baby tell her something like "paws off" if she does it don't forget to reward her for her good actions. If she continues then put her in the crate for a time out. They learn consequences just like a child does.
    Xee

Answer by Xee at 7:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• It's an animal, not garbage or a piece of clothing. You can't just throw it away or exchange it for something else. You and your husband should have put more thought into getting a pet.

It's people like you that are some of the reasons why animal shelters are so crowded.
    Anonymous

• First of all I would not put her in a shelter, I would find her a good home to go to. Second of all we DID talk long and hard about this, but my husband is not following up on his end of the deal and it's all falling on me. As for the crate, we have one and she barks and barks loud for HOURS on end in there. (Overnight, I don't just leave her in there for hours during the day) If she jumps on my daughter or disobeys we put her outside...and she barks loud and very high pitched.

There really is no need for bashing me about this as I am here asking for advice, not mean comments.
    Anonymous

• What breed is she?
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 9:12 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I have seen on TV with trainers that you have to take a dog to the floor and let them know whos boss when they are doing something bad? Not sure about that, But my mom has a boxer thats a male that likes to jump, When he does he gets smacked in the nose and we put out our hand and tell him no down. I don't feel that theres need for bashing here, Your asking an honest ? looking for help.

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 9:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I'm sorry for the mean comment. You're right, you came here for advice, not bashing.

Puppies are much like 2 year olds and need to be taught what to do and what not to do. They take alot of patience. When we got our dog, it took alot of work to get her trained, but she did eventually get trained.

Good luck to you, and again I apologize.
    Anonymous