Friends after a breakup?

Why do guys try to be friends after a breakup? To be nice/so they don't seem like a jerk? If they actually intend on continuing to keep in touch, how is it (so) easy for them to just go from a relationship (back) to being friends?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• It's never worked for me. All the guys that have attempted it, have because they thought we'd eventually get back together, and that ruins the friendship for me.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 2:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I am on good terms with a couple of my exes and we'll talk if we run into each other, but it's not like I'll call them up on the phone to hang out or anything.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 2:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• So you'll bang them while you're not dating.
    Kidding.
    I don't know. Men are... clueless.
    Aaaaaanyway... my best friend is a guy I dated last year. We realized we make MUCH better friends than boyfriend/girlfriend...but it's a strange relationship that most people don't get. :P
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• idk cuz i only dated mexicans and everytime i broke up with them they went back to mexico.... sooooo dunno.....
    mommymtz

Answer by mommymtz at 2:17 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yeh, the ex bfs that I am friends with now, it took time to get back to being friends. I can't just go from a (serious) relationship to friends "just like that". I guess my feelings are too strong or I'm too attached and have a hard time with it.

Haha...well circumstances don't allow for banging to be an option. But I do find that to be a legit reason. It's very common for guys to want that "back burner" option.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• They want to be friends so they can keep their options open and hope that if they need to they can maybe get some sex if they need it. Not all men, but some. It is much easier to get your needs serviced by someone you know and trust and are comfortable with and if they can get it with NSA they are all the happier.
    2boysnaprincess

Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 3:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I think it all depends on time. To me it is impossible to go from bf/gf to friends in a day. You need time after the break up to adjust to it, especially if it was a real serious relationship. Your mind has to adjust and so to the heart. But I believe in time, like years and you have both moved on and are happy with no regrets its possible to be casual friends. Not to close though but just hello, how are you, types.
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Depnds why you broke if you can be friends with an ex.If he cheated i would'nt he lies then he will now.
    Betutah

Answer by Betutah at 6:14 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I am on good terms with all of my exs, but 1. We dont talk much anymore, if at all, but if i needed anything, i know all of them would be there for me. Most of the time we were friends before dating, dated for a while, and realized friends was better. Even my high school sweetheart who was my best friend for 3 years prior to dating for 4. And after breaking up, we re still friends. There were a few that couldnt "just be friends", but i know what my heart wants, and it wasnt them, so we went our seperate ways. I guess i always connected and cared about them as just a person before dating, ,so afterwards we both still cared about the other as friends and wanted nothing but happiness for each other.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 10:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2011