Background checks?

The other day my friend was pulled over and arrested for some felony that she didn't commit!! Turns out, someone stole her identity, got credit cards, loans, and robbed a convenience store!!! They, of course, let her go and are sorting out the problems, but I'm wondering... what's the best program or something for thorough background checks? I don't have any legal issues or anything, but I'd like to be able to continuously check just so the same thing doesn't happen to me! It's so scary!

brandy0827

Asked by brandy0827 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• They have some ad on t.v., but I can never remember what the website is called.. I would google background check websites. something good will pop up
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• When I did my internship at a courthouse, they did a background check on me and another student. The other student had something come back on her and come to find out that an inmate had used her ssn when he was being booked in. Everything was fine and she was able to talk to one of the lawyers for free. I made a comment that I knew nothing was on mine since I had just had a background check a week or so ago. The lady told me that just because I got back a clear report doesn't mean that someone isn't using my ssn. When you get a background check done there may be people who are using your ssn and may have committed crimes but the report that you or your employer gets doesn't show that. So, the best thing to do is to go to the courthouse to get a through background check done and to keep an eye on your credit report.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Everyone needs to obtain their free copies of all 3 credit reports each year. If you are worried about someone accessing your credit you can put an alert on your credit. There is no charge for this.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Your state may have a program as well. We have one in Michigan called I-Chat. Anyone can pay for a membership or on a per check basis and get a pretty good background check for any individual.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Unfortunately, once your identity is stolen, there isn't much they can do. Your name will come up in whatever they do.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:16 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• What yourspecialkid said!! That's all you need! If you wallet is lost or stolen you MUST report this to every single one of your creditors, your state DMV in obtaining a NEW license, and even your police department (as the robber would have your home address and maybe even cell phone if it was in the wallet/purse).

EVERYONE should be proactive in checking their credit histories and ratings against the same tools creditors, landlords/mortgage companies, and even employers use!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:49 PM on Mar. 9, 2011