Have you ever thought about the negative effects of the union on our education system?

The teachers aren't the only ones with rights to consider.

Our children have a right to engaged, quality teachers. When you know you are going to get your raise no matter what, only the pure love of what you do motivates you to do the best job you can.

That's not a common human character. Right now, there are teachers who do AMAZING jobs. They go...just incredible lengths to give the best quality education that they can, make it fun, make it memorable...

And they are getting the same raise as the person sitting on their cell phone, texting during teaching time, not paying any attention to the kids.

If you don't think this problem needs a solution, you're fighting for the wrong "underdog." Because a grown person can stand up and fight for their own raise, their own rights.

A child has no say in whether or not their teacher teaches. If we want to fix the education system in America, truly fix it, we need to hold EACH INDIVIDUAL accountable for doing their job.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 2:16 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• clapping

FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 2:19 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I completely agree. As a parent of a special needs child and having had the system fail our child repeatedly; I must say that there are teachers who say they have training but they do NOT! Bullying was the most frequently used tactic and to this day, I do not understand how an adult, a teacher, one who is supposed to be a nurturer, could be so cruel to a young child. Several should have been fired but nope, that wasn't possible because they were protected by their UNION, so they had a FREE PASS to be big ole bullies to whomever they decided to pick on. And sadly, I have heard the same story from MANY parents, in MANY areas with special needs kids.
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 2:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• – collapse

Our children have a right to engaged, quality teachers

and you assume they do not get this? Being secure in your job means sucking at it??

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• yes. but I do try very hard to keep the kids educated about subjects on their own at home, with more than just what the school supplies. Many times we will take a subject and expand on it at home since certain issues will be wrong, historically incorrect, or only one side will be discussed. As far as teacher apathy and attitude, I have tried to take a pragmatic approach and ask my kids to observe each individual teacher their teaching styles and remember why they learn more from one than the other. My kids have to survive and thrive in society rather than just blame a certain individual or entity for something going wrong in their lives. Adapting to each different personality is going to be with them wherever they go, forever. I'd really just rather help the GOP bust up the unions instead of analyzing what they've done to society.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:30 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• and you assume they do not get this? Being secure in your job means sucking at it??
    ___________________________________

I know for a FACT the protections in place for teachers put our kids at risk. For one, to be molested, as the local teacher who still has his job because he's tenured and yet molested a local little girl. I know, for a fact, that there are terrible, unengaged teachers enjoying the same benefits as the engaged ones.

There should be ZERO job security for incompetence.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I'd really just rather help the GOP bust up the unions instead of analyzing what they've done to society.

________________________

I want to know, exactly, what the effect of the unionization has been on the education system. I want to know this, because I believe it is directly related to the declining standards in our education system. I then would like an answer as to why it is more important for a crappy, unengaged, (and possibly child molesting) teacher to be able to keep their job, than it is for the twenty or third kids they are responsible for to get an education.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 2:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• – collapse

I know for a FACT the protections in place for teachers put our kids at risk

No. That is treating the non criminals the same as the criminals....If a man was convicted of molesting a child, isnt it illegal for him to be working with children? One case....that seems to be handled wrong, isnt the norm

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• I would like an answer.

Why is an unengaged, apathetic teacher entitled to job security?
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• http://www.nje3.org/?p=4965

This is a nice story.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Mar. 9, 2011