Do you wake up your kids from a nightmare?

my DS just let out a "wah" in his sleep and was whimpering. i went to him and gave him kisses and told him "im here sweetie" and rubbed his back till he calmed down. i also wake up my dog and DF when they have nightmares. what do you do?

Arretsmomma5

Asked by Arretsmomma5 at 2:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• No but do let them know I'm there.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Nope. Normally it makes them worse. I just sit there until they pass.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• well, you didn't really wake him up - you just settled him down.. my son wakes from his nightmares screaming and of course I go to him but I do let him dream it out of he is having them
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Nope. It's not recommended that you wake someone up from a nightmare. There are also "night terrors", and our son has had them since birth. Dr. said not to wake him.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• @mrsleftlane, what about hovering and comforting? i grew up with night terrors, so i know they hurt. i was also just thinking, maybe he is learning an emotion in his sleep, and that is why he is making noises i havent heard from him when he is awake?
    Arretsmomma5

Comment by Arretsmomma5 (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• If I was woke up by the nightmare. Then I would wake the pet or person up. To shut them up.

Answer by louise2 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2011