Crib vs toddler bed

My son is almost 21 months old, has never tried climbing out of his crib. I'm due with #2 in October though, and was wondering if we should get another crib, or if we should eventually transition ds to toddler bed a few months before baby is due. What would you do?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, I was in the same situation as you, I'm due in April, and have a 2 1/2 year old. He never tried getting out of his crib either. I transitioned him to a toddler bed when he turned 2, so I could have the crib for the new baby. He never batted an eye, and never climbed out of his toddler bed either. About a month ago I got rid of the toddler bed and put in a fullsize bed instead (mostly because he likes to lie down with me to watch movies, and that's just not possible in a toddler bed, heh).

So I'd say skip another crib, and go straight to either a toddler bed, or a regular bed. I'd do it well in advance of the new baby arriving, so he doesn't feel like he's getting "kicked out" of his bed, know what I mean?
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• You should never base on transitioning your child to a toddler bed because you're having another child. Sorry, I had to say that.

However, your child is almost 2. I think that it'd be okay to do the transition. Just make sure that you transition a few months before the new baby is born.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• i am going through the same situation for the second time! it doesnt pay to buy a new crib bc how much longer would they be in it anyway... its a little bit of a transition but they get used to it
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• i dont think its wrong to base your "transitioning" choice on if your having another child.
    Im going threw the same thing as im due in Sept my daughter will be 18months and we are deciding if we should give her our 4 yr old toddler bed or buy another crib.
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 3:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My 4th was 20 months when our 5th was born. We moved him into a regular twin bed with rails - we didn't want the extra expense of a toddler bed. He did great!

Answer by missanc at 3:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• It would have been great if you could change the bed that your child has into a toddler bed so that way you could have trie it lout for awhile to see how it works and if he likes the crib better, than put it back into a crib. taht way you wouldnt be wasting money if he doesnt want to sleep in a toddle bed.
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Ok I don't know why people are giving you crap for making a change based on having another child. Furniture is very expensive and you can't always get everything you need. I came across a similar problem when I was trying to decide if I wanted a toddler bed or a twin bed for my son. When I found out I was pregnant it made my decision for me. I got him a twin because I needed the crib mattress for the baby. My son just turned 2 on Feb 8th. We got the mattress and box spring on Sunday and he's been sleeping on that with no issues and tomorrow the bed frame will be delivered. I thought that was a good amount of transition time for him in case he did start falling out or what not. You should base you decision on what type of bed to get on your budget. We could only afford the twin because of our tax return otherwise we were considering the much less expensive toddler bed. Good luck!
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 4:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• At 21 mos of age, I'd buy a toddler bed, not waste money on a crib. I paid only $50 for an adorable, brand new, sleigh toddler bed, and DD has been in it for almost 3 years (holds up to 50 lbs). Actually I put her in it when she was 18 mos old. I am sure your 21 mo old would do FINE. :) :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I'd buy a toddler bed if that's what you want to do! I had my DD's go from a crib to a regular bed. After they didn't stay in their cribs any longer. DH loved it when they learned to escape their cribs and come out at their pleasure. But it was at 15-18 mos. Years ago. My DD now has 3 young ones! She put hers into regular beds at 9 mos.and up depending on her reasoning. She just got her DD a toddler bed. She is now 18 months. You do what you are comfortable with. These are your children and you know them best. Best of Luck to you and your family. All children are different!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 7:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Thanks for all your input ladies!! I guess my dh and I feel it's best not to invest in another crib, but either a toddler bed or a twin bed for now ... leaning more toward a twin with side rails. I just think toddler beds are so stinkin cute and their size:) I hope he can figure out how to get back into a twin bed by then ... maybe put a little step stool by it? He still struggles getting up onto a couch, haha:)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2011