Ho old is too old to be still liveing with u'r parents?

paula_07

Asked by paula_07 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Depends. If you're going to school, 20-21. If you're not, the year you graduate you should be out.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• It depends on your financial situation. If you are in bad place and need temporary housing, then its fine as long as you contribute with chores and income. If you are a lazy bum mooching off of mom and dad, then it's not okay. You should be asking not how old he/she should be, but whether or not he/she is contributing.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 3:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I would say now a days things are different. Many people have duel family households and it works great. Don't be worried about how age, be more concerned about if you are helping them out since they are helping you or vice versa. If financially it works or for childcare purposes it works, then don't worry about it. You do what works best for you and your situation.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I only have one out of my three living at home, he is now 23, graduated with honors, but has only been able to find a part time in his field. He can live with me as long as he wants to, he does his own laundry and cleans up his mess, and helps in other areas as well.
    He is not required to give me rent money because I do not need it, but he also pays his own car insurance.

Answer by older at 3:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• There is no set age. It all depends on the circumstances and what is needed. Our daughter lived in our house until she was 30. She was single, going to school and then working and saving money for the down payment on a house. When she was able, she bought her a house and moved out. About a year and a half later, she met and married her husband. Both of our sons lived with us all through their college years, moved out and went to grad school, then came back home and lived with us until their weddings. They were all wonderful children, kept the rules, and never presented us with any problems, and their dad and I were delighted to have them here and to give them a very good foundational start to their married lives.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• There no set age since every one is different. My kids know they will never be homeless and can come home anytime they want to or need to.

Answer by gemgem at 3:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I do not believe there is one universal set age.

There are too many things that contribute to that choice: the child, the parents, culture, religion, familial expectations, finances, health/mental health issues.. and probably many other things if I set here and thought long enough.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Depends on if they are in school or not. I would say mid 20's ( at the latest!) you should be getting out of the house! Gotta learn to live on your own at some point!
    kaitilala

Answer by kaitilala at 3:16 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I don't really think there is any age. People live with their parents for a lot of reasons...sometimes it's for the beneift of the parent, sometimes for the benefit of the child.

Every family is a little different.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My kids were given a choice. They could live with me until they finished college, or if they chose to work, they had to find a place of their own to rent. That's the only way I would have it. I might add that I would never consider moving back with my parents...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2011