Need pointers on teaching my child to self-feed please.

I have a 15 month old preemie. He will be 12 months old, adjusted age, March 14, 2011. My son does not put anything in his mouth. I am currently feeding him from a spoon or by placing small pieces of food in his mouth. Ive placed him in his booster chair and placed those puff things in front of him, showed that they can be eaten, but he still makes no attempt to try to feed himself. Any ideas of how i can better work with him?

aahill0824

Asked by aahill0824 at 3:14 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• He might be delayed. I am so sorry, as I really try not to use that word towards anyone. Our daughter started putting things to her mouth and eating them at about 9 months old.

We never had to "try" to show her how to do this. She just did it naturally. You might eat in front of the baby every chance you get, and hope that maybe baby catches on. If not, this is definitely something to talk to the pedi at during the next check up.

GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 3:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• It's fine. I'm not offended what-so-ever.

He already goes to a developmental clinic every 6 months. The last time we were there, I mentioned that he does not put anything in his mouth. You know, most babies will see something, pick it up and the mouth is the first place it goes. He doesn't do this. They didn't seem too concerned about it because he does put his own fingers in his mouth, but that's it. I'm sure its just a small delay in his development, but like any other mother, I'm going to be concerned and worried that he will fall behind his peers.

My husband and I do eat in front of him as much as we can in the hopes that he will want to be like us and feed himself. I appreciate your answer and thank you for the help Razelda.
    aahill0824

Comment by aahill0824 (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• He'll figure it out. Just keep trying. Always offer them on the tray and encourage him to pick them up (even put them in his hand and guide it up to his mouth). then offer something on the spoon or with your hand. My 7mo would just stare at them or pick up a handful and then stare at the tray but he wouldn't put them in his mouth. It was kind of funny. He would pick them all up then sit there with fists of food and look up at me to hand him one right to his mouth. Then the other day it just clicked and now he picks them up and eats them by the handful.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I would have him evaluated again soon. At that age, you should be worried about too much going in his mouth...

Answer by rkoloms at 8:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2011