First haircut

How did you get your child to sit still while getting their.haircut?

My son has curly hair and it is a mess I want to get his curls cut off but not a buzz...how could I get it cut and also he is a wild child lol! How can I encourage him to stay still?

EheartsZ07

Asked by EheartsZ07 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD got her first hair cut at Disney world. They put Mickey Mouse stickers all up and down her legs so she was more interested in pulling them off then what they were doing to her hair. She was 18 months. It went very well! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYSriUz_mGs

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My DD just got her first haircut the other day, she's 2 & 1/2 years old. I took her to Kids Cuttery. They have a TV in front of each booth, so they put on spongebob, and also she sat on a ''tractor'' (not a reg. seat) so she pretended she was driving. Bring a book to read to him, or even a portable DVD player with his favorite movie or whatever he loves to watch. Bribing works too, you'll take him for ice cream if he's a big boy and sits still?
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Well he is only 14 months so he doesn't really understand the bribing :-/ I think the stickers is a great idea also we have a portable dvd player, I may just take it. Thanks (:
    EheartsZ07

Comment by EheartsZ07 (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• my kids just screamed during their first cut (except my daughter) but i just had them sit on my lap and hold their head.. let them scream lol.

when my oldest was 1 an we got his first cut done they had a place called 'snip its' they watch movies during the time and they get a toy at the end ... it was fun.. but he still cried.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 3:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• She was about 6 months old when I first cut it. Grandma held her while I cut. Now I strap her in the highchair and have something to distract her.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:49 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I stood right there in view and praised the heck out of my child for being so still and so good. There are a few places around that specialize in young children's hair cuts, but it winds up being like a $20-$25 haircut. We go to Super Cuts or Great Clips for half the price.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My daughter has been getting her hair trimmed she she was 4 months old. My MIL has her hairdresser do her hair at her house. She just sits in her highchair and plays with a water bottle or comb, food works to distract her sometimes too. She's so use to getting it trimmed every six weeks, she is a pro!
    lala9

Answer by lala9 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• my son has never had his hair cut besides his bangs and he stands perfectly still while I do it cuz he doesnt want to get cut. Of course we didnt even cut his bangs until he was over three so he understood. good luck...here is a pic of my son standing over a fan in a parking lot with his twin sister

shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 4:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• snack time. thats what i do i set them down with a snack and yes hair may get on the snack but my 2 kids sat so still it was great.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 8:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Thanks everyone! @shivasgirl his hair is so long! He's so cute (: does he ever want it cut or does he like it long?

I thought about just lettin my sons grow out until he's like 2 but idk...
    EheartsZ07

Comment by EheartsZ07 (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Mar. 10, 2011