Would you ever sign a prenup?

Or have you ever? I was just wondering because I personally don't believe in them. I'm not going to judge those that have, nor am I judging those that will not sign it whatsoever. I just wanted to know why or why not any of you will because I know we all have our reasons for what we do.

sweetvietchic

Asked by sweetvietchic at 7:51 PM on Nov. 22, 2008 in Relationships

• I think it would depend on my age, status in life, and whether or not I was getting re-married. With my SO as it stands, I would not sign one because everything we have established, we have worked for and established together there is no reason to "protect" anything from someone who has contributed equally to its earning.

That said, if I was re-marrying and had my own investments, real estate, or retirement funds and children's inheritance to consider (or if my spouse did), I would certainly want it written somewhere that it was mine/his and we left with it if anything should happen...the same as I would in a will. I don't think it is right to have to split everything down the middle if it wasn't earned/created during the marriage.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:14 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I think it depends on the reason behind it. If its for selfish reasons(which most are) then def not. But there are a lot of ppl out there who have kids or diff situations where they worry that they could lose what they have. In that situation its just your gut telling you not to get married in the first place. If two ppl are truly in love and dont look at divorce as their future then there is no reason for one. I wouldnt sign one. Thats just me though :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:56 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• yes, i would. prenups should protect both parties. make sure their is a clause for infidelity.
    prettylob1

Answer by prettylob1 at 7:58 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Sure. I'd probably be a lot better off signing it and getting something bc I normally end up with nothing after a divorce!

Answer by admckenzie at 8:00 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I think that a prenup is a great idea and a bad idea at the same time. I think it depends on the person and why I was signing the prenup. I think that they are a great way to protect both parties so long as it's geared towards both parties and not just protecting one person.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 8:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• no my husband wanted me to sign one before we got married cuz he wanted to make sure his house went to his boys. i refused i didn't want the dump any how and ironically we ended up losing the house to foreclosure and live in a much better house in the country and the last place this house will go is to his boys
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Well, the way I was thinking is, why should two people in love be thinking about divorce? I know it's "just in case" but shouldn't we have more faith in our relationship?
    Anonymous

• i agree with anonymous 100%.

No, I would not.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:10 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I think it depends on the person and circumstances. Me personally, I wouldn't.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 8:37 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• All I have to give in a marriage is my heart. There's no$ value to that in a court of law and besides I give that freely. I think it's sad that marriage today is so disposable to some. I have tough times in my marriage like many people but we are still together 19 years later. They said marriage isn't easy. They, who ever they are.....were right.
    HOWEVER..........
    I don't know if I could answer this question the same way if I was a gazillionair...I would like to say no but in truth if I was married to some schmuck like ...oh..let's say...Tom Arnold...lol (eu..off the top of my head...LOL) and Tom left me and we didn't have a prenup...I wouldn't want to share my gazillion $$$$$$$ with him at all. So I would have to say yes in this scenario~

I'm doing the creative thinking thing this evening.........LMAO
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 8:45 PM on Nov. 22, 2008