No options for women with no insurance

Has anyone had to deal with pre-natal and delivery care with no insurance and not eligible for medicaid? It's a nightmare. Why aren't there more options for people with no insurance and low income? I was thinking about starting some kind of charity to help with the financial burden of child birth but don't know where to start.

jdzamko

Asked by jdzamko at 3:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Health

• There is FAMIS (i'm not sure if it's just in VA) but it's for pregnant women with little income. Pregnant women usually always qualify for FAMIS at least here in my state. The charity would be a GREAT idea, but delivering a child costs SO much money and unfortunately you would have a lot of upset women if you helped one and couldn't help the other =[
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Here (in NEPA) there is a group that sees women with no insurance (and MA). I was (and still am) fortunate to have health insurance, but it's lucky that that group is available for those that don't..
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I was eligible for medicaid w/ all 3 of my pregnancies I think it would be great for the ones who are over the limit but still can't afford it but I have no clue where to start I would google how to start a charity
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 3:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• i know planned parenthood offers prenatal care at lil to no cost.
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• It would be great if even the pregnant women could be seen for free and only have to pay for the delivery. I don't have insurance right now and had to look around. Doctor's are charging 3200 + alone. That's rediculous. I worked in the health care field for 6 years and was shocked to hear the charges these doctors are charging just to see the patient. First appointment usually doesn't consist of much but charging 1200 for that appointment alone. Let's just say RIP OFF! The hospital is 3900 for vag delivery with no complications. I live in Jacksonville Florida (large city) so if these doctors, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, and mid-wives would donate his or her services for 1 day a week it would be extremely helpful. I'm so frustrated about this. Can you tell??? :)
    jdzamko

Comment by jdzamko (original poster) at 3:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• We almost had to with our last child. My doctor's office has a charity where depending on your income they will pay for 10 to 100% of your appts. and the doctor's delivery fee. It is only for those who do not qualify for medical assistance. The hospital also has the same thing. We qualified for 100% from the doctor's office and then find out that we did qualify for medical assistance 2 days after my dd was born so my hospital stay was covered that way. My doctor's office and the hospital are both Catholic organizations so perhaps this why they do this. It definitely took some stress of the pregnancy that is for sure. We didn't have insurance because dh was out of work (is self-employed) and we couldn't afford our medical insurance anymore. This happened when I was 5 months along.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 4:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• There are tons of places around here that can help a pregnant woman. There are programs through the hospitals themselves, birthing centers all over the place that allow payment plans (around $3,000 total for prenatal care and birth), and different organizations set up as well.

But the biggest thing to me is that if you know that you don't have health insurance and make too much for Medicaid, why conceive at all?!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• xxlilmomma09- People don't know in advace he or she isn't available for medicaid. In my case I was unemployed so we thought we would be able to get pregnancy medicaid but it doesn't look that way. Just because a person doesn't have insurance doesn't mean he or she doesn't deserve to have a child.
    jdzamko

Comment by jdzamko (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I can't even begin to imagine the stress of not being able to afford health care.  I hope you can get the care you need GL.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• first you need to get a few more people to get on your team because you will need a team to support you. think of a name for the charity and work on getting you a tax id # you will need this to provide to the doctors, after that come up with material that you can pass out to inform and promote your charity...website,flyers, templates etc. and find you some doctors that do pro bono work..there are alot of them out there and alot do it because they can write it off on their taxes also thats a way to maybe get a few more to join the band wagon...you might want to get you a pro bono lawyer for the just in cause situation....with me been a nurse i know there are doc out there that does that just remember you will be going into private practices so you have to get by the front desk lady i don't about all of them but mine like chocolate or cookies .good luck on this journey and please feel free to inbox me if you have any questions!
    mztxdelta

Answer by mztxdelta at 5:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2011