How young can a kid be to be put on ADHD med or something!!!?

I believe my son has behavior issues along with an attention problem. He is almost 3. He screams REALLY loud all the time (it gets on my last nerve) He tells everyone no, he doesnt listen at all, he tries to hurt his sister(even after i tell him over and over to leave her alone and to stop) He hits, pinches, pokes me. He also likes to yell and be mean to me. I have tried ever kind of disciplinary things nothing works!! it just makes things worst and blows him up more. I am now thinking about asking the doctor about that add medicine... any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think he is 3 and acting 3.
    Anonymous

• Way too young for an actual ADD diagnosis - usually they won't do that until 5-6. And any decent dr will recommend behavior modification before writing a prescription.

Answer by missanc at 3:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I agree... it sounds like a normal three year old thing. Take a parenting class to help you figure out ho to cope with his three year oldness.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• honestly this is how 3 year olds act. the 3's are way worse than the 2's. a 3 year old child has no business being anywhere near behavioral meds. this phase passes, then the 4's come!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• If you think he has a problem you need to have him evaluated. Call 1-800-EarlyOn and they will hook you up with free services in your area through your local school district.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Diagnosing at preschool age is extremely rare because it is hard to decide what behaviors are normal and what are "hyperactive" for kids in that age range.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• First OP says it all.. He is 3 and yep at that age they take a lot of energy sometimes and boys can be wild.. Once he gets in school, you will know if he needs to be tested for ADD/ADHD.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Kids aren't generally diagnosed for ADD/ADHD until they are at least 6 yrs old let alone put on meds for it. What your child is doing isn't necessarily a sign of ADD/ADHD. It sounds like he is an active child who needs some firmer parenting skills. I'm not saying you're a bad mom. I'm just saying that yelling, screaming, biting, hitting, pinching, etc...are not typical signs. I have dealt with my twins' Acute Genetic ADHD for 12 1/2 yrs now. And, none of those things came into play. What came into play was the lack of focus, inability to concentrate long enought o absorb what a teacher was teaching them, the lack of ability to rationalize their emotions, & so much more. ADD/ADHD is SO MUCH MORE than "I can't control my child". Too many parents ask doctors to put their kids on meds for this. It makes it hard on those truly afflicted with it.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 4:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Sounds like a young kid to me. He is not ADHD at this age. He is testing the boundaries and it looks like he is winning.

Pick a method of discipline, time out, sticker chart plus use plenty of positive reinforcement when he does something nice and/or listens well. If he yells, consistently tell him that you need to hear what he has to say in an inside voice. Eventually he will get it, but it won't be today or tomorrow.

My oldest was severely speech delayed and in time outs 3-5 times a day. It seemed like nothing worked. I would constantly explain the rules to him and he did get it. It just took a lot of time and consistency. He is now an honor student in middle school who is constantly cited for leadership abilities. Your son can get there too!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My son will be 5 on April 8 and was diagnosed with ADHD last May by a developmental pediatrician. He asked us what we thought we wanted to do, but said, in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that he felt that he was too young to be on medication. We had already discussed medication and said the same thing, we did not want to use it right away, and not at all if we didn't have to.
    I think you would have trouble finding any (good) doctor who would put a 3 year old on medication. And I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with meds, but 3 is too young. They're really not even indicated for children under 7.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 4:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2011