Were your kids taught about International Women's Day?

March 8 was a celebratory day honoring the achievements of women globally. The US, although there were some celebrations in a few states (around 6 altogether), had the least amount of participation. Even women in Egypt participated in a Million Woman March -- not many attended, but in that country doing so would get you killed. My son's school was too busy serving Mardis Gras beads and parades to teach about the necessary empowerment of girls.

Are your girls learning about empowerment in their schools? Any programs geared towards that sense of self-confidence, autonomy, and self-possession?

An educator and mom, I write about empowerment of young girls and women at http://marinagraphy.com

Marinagraphy

Asked by Marinagraphy at 3:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes, we homeschool so our kids did learn about it. In the public schools they did not learn about it at all. We also covered it last night at our girl scout meeting.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:01 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• International Women's Day... not Women's International Day
    Anonymous

• Wow! That is wonderful news, Scout mom! Did you teach your kids about women in STEM fields? Thanks for responding.
    Marinagraphy

Comment by Marinagraphy (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My girls don't need a day to affirm their own "empowerment". And, my boys were taught how to treat women from day one. They don't need a day of recognition to remind them. It is their lifestyle.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 4:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• oops! Thanks, Anonymous.
    Marinagraphy

Comment by Marinagraphy (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• They did not do anything special. They do have after school and summer programs designed to boost and keep the self esteem in teen girls. I am hoping sign up DD, if the dates work.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Specialwingz, I appreciate your response. But this is not the case with most girls and boys. By the time boys and girls get to middle school, their roles have been defined by what they have been exposed to -- and some of them are not as empowered as we would like them to be.
    Marinagraphy

Comment by Marinagraphy (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Actually, we cover women in STEM field a lot, because we use the girl scout program with our homeschooling and the focus there is to let girls see that they really can do anything they want to. For our IND we learned about women in various fields (scientists, authors, artists, designers, enginers, etc) and talked about how the rights of women have changed over the years. My girls were really interested to learn that black men could vote before white women considering how much you hear about the unfair treatment of African Americans.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Balagan Imma, that sounds like a good program! Glad to hear it.
    Marinagraphy

Comment by Marinagraphy (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Scout mom, my friend just became a scout leader for her five year old little girl's group, and she was just telling me about it. It sounds like an incredibly empowering program for girls, and I find myself considering it for my daughter. I need to revisit my ideas about girls scouts. I wanted to be in it when I was little, but my mom was a single mom and didn't have any time for that kind of stuff. Glad to see that there are active programs out there instilling knowledge and self-confidence in our girls.
    Marinagraphy

Comment by Marinagraphy (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2011