My son pees great on the potty but refuses to poop, What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is normal. It takes some time for them to feel comfortable with pooping on the potty. It's hard to be patient when we want them to be out of diapers, but patience is the key. You need to wait until he's ready.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Only feed him liquids. lol
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• PP is correct, it's normal & takes time & patience. Keep an eye on his regular schedule. When it's his regular time to poop, sit him on the potty with his favorite book. After a while, you will get lucky & hit it right. Then, make a big positive deal about it. Award him with stickers or something. Then, help him work towards a big goal, a new toy car or coloring book if he goes a week without a "miss". That's what worked for my twin boys.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 4:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• EXTREME ; it worked FOR ME.
    My youngest wouldn't go on the potty either. I caught him in the yard one day, squatted by a tree (diaper on) straining his little veins out. "Whatcha doing?" I asked. "Foo pooing ona bug" he said. Hilarious, yes, and my light bulb went off. He was going on 3 yrs - I was desperate. I stripped his diaper off and let him actually foo-poo ona bug. He thought that was the greatest thing ever; took his dad to see it when he got home from work. So we did that a few times a week for a couple weeks. I mean he would take off his own diaper and foo-poo ona bug; disgusting, embarrassing the whole nine yards but not harmful. One day I found a dead bug outside and put it in his potty chair; when I saw him straining, I ran to him all excited, told him a bug was in his potty - go foo-poo on it.....He did! Took about another 2 weeks until I got to stop hunting dead bugs to put in the potty. BOYS! Go figure
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 4:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• The above answers must be right; all we can do is WAIT. My almost three year old REFUSES to poop on the potty, but she hasn't had a wetting accident in over a month. My hubby is very frustrated...
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 4:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• P.S. Yes - I had to poop-scoop my own yard because of him for a couple of weeks...... well worth it in the end.... not fighting with him, no stress on him -- it changed whatever he was thinking about foo-pooing in the potty. It did backfire a bit.... when he was 4 I caught him AND his 6 yr old brother using their pee stream to try and knock spiders or bugs off of whatever they found a bug perched on. ;)
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 4:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Patience and creativity is the name of the game. They KNOW you can't MAKE them poop in the potty. Control thing. I love shelbysharealot's answer. It shows creativity and her son wasn't catching on that she was stressing over the situation. My girls are long past this age but I do recall this - #2 girl refused to potty train while I was pregnant w/ #3. I had the baby and within a couple weeks, she was trained. I think I used the hershey kiss method, you go, you get a hershey kiss. She was nearly 3. Third child trained herself around 2 because she was/is miss independent and has always done things herself.
    etown2reds

Answer by etown2reds at 4:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• He may be scared because he is so used to his poo staying well onhim to be honest, to introduce him to the idea i put my son on the potty when he was going poo diaper and all. When he finished i took the diaper off and dumped the poo into the potty and had him say bye bye to it and let him flush, after a while i took the diaper off and let him go he did great i hope this helps.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 8:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• he will do it in time you just have to wait.. He may just not ready yet.. My son just now started pooping on the potty he just out of the blue starting doing it.. Good luck momma
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 7:39 PM on Mar. 11, 2011