Who do you want in the delivery room with you?

My first pregnancy it seemed like everyone was in there. This time we are going to a birthing center and my husband has a medical issue that if he gets too stressed out he has a seizure so I don't know who should be in there with me. My mom can't do it so who should it be?

jdzamko

Asked by jdzamko at 4:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Sister, or best friend???
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Or your mother in law??
    Ambie0526

Answer by Ambie0526 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I don't really have a best friend. I'm thinking of my sister.
    jdzamko

Comment by jdzamko (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My mother-in-law will have my son and she has seizures so she can't do it.
    jdzamko

Comment by jdzamko (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I wanted only my husband in there with me. No way in the world would I want to deal with my MIL while I'm giving birth, I can hardly stand the woman on a good day. Isn't a doula (I might have spelled that wrong) a person who is there for you when your husband can't be or as additional support? Maybe you should get one of those.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I love my mother in law. We get along great thank god. :) I don't know about a doula. I want someone I know. I'm just not sold on the doula. I will have my midswife but not sure who else.
    jdzamko

Comment by jdzamko (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• You should choose whoever makes you feel the most comfortable and whoever you feel the least stress around! IF you don't find anyone you feel comfortable with you could always hire a doula that would help you before, during, and after your delivery!
    Pilot_Wife

Answer by Pilot_Wife at 5:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Your sister
    Tarrahs2011

Answer by Tarrahs2011 at 5:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Doulas can be great. They're there FOR YOU. They have no other interests at heart other than YOURS. They're experienced, they can coach you through labor, massage, get you whatever you want/need, be a go-between for you and any personnel involved (they can't make medical decisions, of course, but they can reinforce what YOU want). You're more likely to get the birth you want, or as close to it as possible, with a doula. :)

I wouldn't even have considered anyone other than my mother (besides my husband, of course). My SIL was there during labor for my second, but not delivery.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:08 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I just hired a doula, myself. Even though my partner will be there. Doulas are a great source of information, support and are emotionally detached from you and your baby so they can offer an outside perspective on things- but at the same time they are sympathetic to your situation and will do anything you need.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2011