Is breast best?

Is breastmilk best for hydration? DS is 9mos.

afjenn480

Asked by afjenn480 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Of course.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:30 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yes. Unless you are on certain meds or the baby has special needs. I'm still dissapointed that I cannot produce :(
    xJasonsMommyx

Answer by xJasonsMommyx at 4:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yes, if this is the method he's been feeding from since birth. If he's formula fed then that's where his hydration comes from. Unless he is sick and fighting dehydration, then you do what your dr. recommends. Typically they'll suggest pedialite, or small amounts of water. If you're worried about dehydration count the number of wet diapers. I believe they recommend at least 2-3 in a day. If you're asking just a general question, not because he's sick, then his hydration comes from whatever form of liquid milk you provide, IE breast feeding or formula. Under normal circumstances nothing else is absolutely necessary until at least 12 months of age. You can give it out of preference, but it's not necessary.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 4:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I think so, but of course I have always breastfed. If my girls were sick I would give them small amounts of pedialyte also.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 4:45 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yes. It's an all-in-one. As long as baby is breastfeeding at least 3-4 times a day and getting appropriate wet diaper count, no other liquid is necessary. My daughter never had anything substantial other than breastmilk until over a year old (liquids-wise).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• In most cases. At 9 mos, if baby is also taking solids, you can offer water in a cup at mealtimes if you wish. But remember, the entire first year, always nurse before solids.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• whats best is what works for mom and baby
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 11:32 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Thanks, Ladies =) DS still has croup, but I'm not worried about dehydration...it was just a question of interest!
    afjenn480

Comment by afjenn480 (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2011