Would you be mad if a teacher attached a note to your child to send it home?

This mom is throwing a fit over it, and since the story says that the teacher was concerned that the progress reports requested by the parents were not making it home I'm guessing that the kid was a trouble maker anyway. I don't see the big deal, I've used a safety pin a few times to send notes home because the kids were not getting them there and the parents were not checking the back packs. Anyway, here's the link...

http://news.yahoo.com/video/miamicbs4-15750840/teacher-criticized-for-how-she-sent-a-note-home-24445195

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 4:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• All this fuss over a note? Jeez, when I worked in a daycare we would write I NEED DIAPERS on the kid's diaper so the parents would bring in more. Sure, some of the asinine mothers got all pissy but we didn't care, we kept doing it because sometimes, it's the only way someone would listen.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 7:45 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• My husband and I discussed this last night and we do not see the big deal either. The teacher had too have some kind if indication that the notes were not making it home. Although I think this is over of the biggest downfall of schools is that there leave no room for discipline. The poor teachers get walked all over and are baby sitting more than anything.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I dont see the sense in the uproar. But i also dont see why if its that important why the teacher cant make a personal phone call. My bf is a teacher and I know that you are very busy. I would not be mad if my dd was sent home with a not attached but id ? why it was necessary when there are other forms of communication. I might confront the teacher but its nothing Id be upset about taht would make the media! LOL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:32 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• No. I believe that has been a common practice for years.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:29 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Teachers have been doing this for YEARS. And while a staple is a bit unorthodox, it does beat a straight pin on safety.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• No. I really don't see the big deal.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• It became news probably because it's unprofessional. Next thing you know, she'll try to sue the teacher over it. Kid sounds like a pain and so does the Mom.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I see nothing wrong , just sounds to me like the parent wants something to whine about.
    jdzamko

Answer by jdzamko at 4:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• As one who has taught for years, I'd NEVER do that to a student. There is no way I could ever see the logic in doing that with e-mail, telephones, US mail, etc etc etc. I find it humiliating to the student. If my kid ever had a STAPLE in their clothing, I'd be extra PISSED.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• stupid stupid stupid stupid thats all i can say. it has nothing to do with the note on the childs shirt it has more to do with the fact that the parent doesnt like the teacher and found a way to make something big out of nothing.

if the mother was getting the notes sent home how the heck would the teacher have known if the parent never responded so for all she knows the parent wasnt recieving them and this was a way to ensure that she did.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2011