Wrong Numbered the school *vent*

I just thought of this and thought that maybe the mom's of teens might find it interesting.

when DH and I first married we started getting phone messages from the local High school about our daughter getting into trouble, cutting classes and their concern that no one was showing up for the conferences they had set up. Apparently a note was being sent home with this student.
There was one big problem with all this.
We were only 28 at the time, and didn't have a 16 year old daughter! My husband and I must have called that school at least 6 times giving the girls name and telling them that they were calling the wrong number!
Yet the calls kept coming. One to let us know that the girl had been suspended, mentioning that she may not even realize it since she'd not been in school for over a week.
One day my husband comes home and I tell him that I'd heard a message that since we hadn't come in about our 'daughter' then they were going to call social services and see about getting her sent to a foster home!

It all finally stopped when DH went into the school to see the principal.

This girl obviously thought that the wrong number was a stroke of genius, but the fact that her mother came that close to getting turned in for neglect because the school workers couldn't get that they were calling the wrong number makes me nauseous.

I still wonder what happened to that girl when her mother found out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Wow that mom got lucky. Good thing you guys went to the school.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 5:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I did that in high school LOL! I was not THAT bad but I liked to ditch from time to time so I didnt need my mom knowing her lovely daughter cut out early for a day of shopping or a day at the water park with her friends.

Answer by gemgem at 5:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I can't believe the only action was to call. That seems severe. I wonder if this person moved without checking their children out of school.
    Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 5:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• "I wonder if this person moved without checking their children out of school. " I don't think so, from the sound of the messages she would skip school and then later we would get calls about her bad test scores. So it looks like she was there from time to time. We would also get calls from kids that it seemed she was trying to avoid.
    I think we were just the phone number that she gave out when she didn't want to talk to someone.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• wow seems like the school should have sent something in the mail as well. feel sorry for the mother she came so close to loosing her daughter.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 5:19 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Well, obviously the girl thought she was too smart for school BUT....at some point you have to blame the parents. THEY should have given THEIR number to the school, they should have gone to parent/teacher conferences and at some point they should have been aware that their child was not attending school. I knew...100%....that my sons were in school. Their teachers, secretary and principal all knew us, we made sure that they knew us.
    Anonymous

• Last year we were getting automated calls from the high school for a student that wasn't ours. They weren't that bad. I called the school and they weren't able to fix it. So when it happened again I called the superintendants office and spoke to someone in charge of student information. It was just a typo. They had the right information in their files and changed it in the system.

Our schools have at least 3 maybe 4 numbers on us. Once I was in the shower when they called because someone was sick. By the time I was done with my shower I had messages on the house phone and my cell. Another time my husband called my cell while I was out shopping because they called him at work. They don't monkey around here.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:16 PM on Mar. 11, 2011