Long-term treatment for anxiety

Is there any one that is being treated for chronic anxiety? Most doctors will not give xanax for longer than a week of use because of someone becoming addicted to it. Is there anything that can be taken for extended periods of time that works ?

Carolannie

Asked by Carolannie at 5:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Health

• Long-term anxiety is usually treated with a number of methods. The only long term treatments are therapies such as graded exposure and cognitive behaviour therapy. So, Undertaking therapy, and using anti-anxiety medications in the short term only and using medication such as propranolol are non-addictive and help with the physical symptoms of anxiety such as dry mouth, stomach churning/nausea, palpitations etc. Just alleviating the physical symptoms can be helpful in tackling the emotional symptoms during therapy. Good luck.
    Pilot_Wife

Answer by Pilot_Wife at 5:12 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Liquor ? lol!! ... sorry - I deal with it also - i am on and off meds every couple years.. hugs
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• There are a lot of medications that can be used long-term to treat anxiety disorders, including a lot of antidepressants. Here is a description of many of the different medication options. Also, don't discount the effects of regular exercise.

evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 5:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• A lot of people are put on Klonopin. You will experience withdrawal though, when you are ready to step off. There are some anti-depressants that might also help. The best treatment is cognitive-behavioral therapy. You can completely eliminate anxiety with good CBT work. Actually, anxiety is one of the easiest to treat. You do the work, and you take control/ :)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I have an anxiety disorder, along with major depressive disorder and OCD, and I'm being treated with Cymbalta. It is approved for use with anxiety and depression, as well as several other things, I think.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 5:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Therapy,Yoga,meditation,start a journal.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I have the same thing and my doctor has me on Xanax and I have a 30 day supply not sure why your doctor won't write you for longer; but you do need to talk to them about this also
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:17 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• Xanax ia a short-acting anti-anxiety . . . that means that your body concentration on the med quickly depletes when you take it. WHen taken on a daily basis, people often will experience tolerance . . . they will need more and more at shorter intervals to gain the same effect. It winds up sometimes having an opposit effect, because the withdrawal from each dose will increase your anxiety. Just like other short-actings, like valium, doctors usually do not want people taking them for long periods. It protects them and you.

There are definately other meds like the ones discussed above . . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 11:56 AM on Mar. 10, 2011

• i heard benedryl works. i never tried it, and it doesn't even sound right, but so I've been told that people use a little to cope
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 12:02 AM on Mar. 11, 2011