Is this potty training regression?

My 2 1/2 year old son has been potty training for about a month, and was doing really well- most days with dry diapers, even after naptime... making it to the potty about half the time for poops. But all of a sudden, he throws a fit every time I try and take him to the bathroom and insists that he "doesn't have to go"; later peeing in his diaper. Obviously I can't force him to go, and bribes aren't working, either. Do I just back off til he's interested again? I should mention that we're having another baby in June, and I really was hoping we could get this wrapped up before then.

vixenmama

Asked by vixenmama at 5:19 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't keep diapers on him if he's trained. If he pees in his big boy pants then it's uncomfortable which helps them stop doing it. Keeping a diaper on him just makes it easy on him

Answer by admckenzie at 5:23 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I think he is acting like this because of the new baby that is coming. I would back off until he's interested again. I wouldn't force him to go because than he won't want to use the potty. I know it's hard because I'm trying to potty train my 2 year old twins and I have a 1 year old. They see him still in diapper and going in his diapper so they think that they can still do that. Their doctor said that it will probably take longer for them. She told me not to do the potty training for another year but I still ask them if they want to use the potty.
    momoftwins250

Answer by momoftwins250 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2011