How much TV does your toddler watch?

My son is 27 months old and watches about 1-2 1/2 hours of TV a day. When I say TV, I mean maybe 15mins of something on Nick JR or a short Thomas video in the morning, one of his 20mins "learning" videos (like Your Baby Can Read or Baby Einstein) before nap time, and maybe an actual "big boy" movie like Nemo or something at night before bed.

It seems like a lot to me, but he reads about 4 books with us a day too and plays with his word flash cards. He's not behind on anything, and gets the rest of the day to play with his toys or outside. It's just he gets bored with that and it's nice to mix it up with him watching a show in between everything else.

How much TV does your toddler watch? Any ideas of other ways to keep him entertained? We draw sometimes, but he honestly loves his shows. I don't think he'd be talking as much as he does if it weren't for the books, and shows. He has full on conversations with us, I never expected that out of a boy his age after what everyone had told me about boys being slower than girls! Also I'm not a SAHM anymore, my husband and I work full time so I don't want to ask my mom who watches him for free to take up too much more of her time with crazy long crafts and things like that to keep him entertained. Simple would be better!

ours

Asked by ours at 5:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• god i feel terrible.. my tvs on all day...so no i dont think hes watching too much... limit it to how much u think he should watch
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 5:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Our TV's on all day too, but it's on shows we want to watch and he doesn't really care about. Ya, he might walk by sometimes and comment on the puppy in the commercial or something but that's it. I'm just hoping that how much TV he watches is normal :/ A lot of people say they shouldn't be watching ANY TV and I don't know what I'd do without it!
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 5:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I usually set a 2 hour limit as a goal, but honestly, it varies depending on the day. If we get out and do stuff in the morning (story time at the library, play dates w/ mom's group, the park, or just run around doing a lot of errands) and/or if we go out in the evening, then he doesn't even watch that much a day--maybe more like 30-60 minutes (if any). If he's sick, I'm sick or if I have a migraine, he can pretty much watch PBS or whatever all morning and I won't care to be honest. If one of us feels bad, we just have to do whatever we need to do to make it through the day. If he's well, then he's usually more interested in playing after about 20 minutes anyway, but I just turn the tv off or tell him it's 'my turn' and change the channel if I think he's watched too much. Most days he likes to watch a show while he eats breakfast (usually something like Sesame Street) and maybe another show or video before bedtime.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• mine would watch gabba all day (and has on occasion) although i wouldn't recomend it.
    i don't think it really matters as long as it's something healthy to watch and you have a rule about an hour outside everyday (or a creative activity inside if the weather doesn't permit)
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 9:17 AM on Mar. 10, 2011