Not a ? but my opinion (SAHM)

I was married for 16 yrs got divorced 3 yrs ago. I love staying home with my kids but now being 42 yrs old I could kick my self in the butt for not doing anything for myself, Now that I am divorced and at my age it is so hard getting out there to find work. I would advice if possible work part time or a few hrs or go to school. Its not easy with no experience.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• Nope it isnt. I was 32 or so when I divorced and worked as a waitress. I made good money though (roughly $18 an hour) and was able to work part time and make ends meet for me & my 4 kids. I am sahm again and almost 40. But I have a college education now and could probably find work almost anywhere I wanted to, I just dont want to. But I learned after my divorce I needed to have a degree just in case.

Answer by gemgem at 5:49 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• clapping wonderful advice!!

momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:49 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• MOM Thanks
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I'm being a smart ass. (Just my mood of the day). But then you won't be a SAHM. :)

Yes, very good advice.
    red_head_mommy2

Answer by red_head_mommy2 at 5:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I was a SAHM for 10 years and dh and I split. It was rough as hell. I had no work experience and only a high school diploma. It was the BEST thing to ever happen to me. I had to scrape my butt off the floor. I put my ass through school. I found myself. DH and I eventually got back together. Our split was the best thing to ever happen to me. I found myself. I found my backbone. It also builds character to struggle like that and learn to appreciate everything and everyone in your life.
    Anonymous

• I AGREE. Knowing you can support yourself if necessary is priceless. And you never know what might happen. Even if it's not divorce but the death of a spouse. My inability to support myself when I was married caused me to take a lot of crap because I felt powerless. I promised myself I would never be like that again and it's so great to know that if I were to stay at home it would truly be a choice. I see too many women treated like crap or less than equal for being a SAHM and depending on their partners. It's so sad.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 5:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I got my bachelors degree just for that reason. My husband will always be the bread winner and he loves the fact that I stay home with our son, in fact he talked me in to it. But if God forbids anything happens to him I need to be able to take care of us.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 5:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• This is wonderful advice! I've been a sahm for about 4 years but I have every intention of going back to school so I can have an education just in case something happens...I can't go right now because DH is in school for criminal justice and we can't afford for both of us to go at the same time....he swears I'll never have to work because he's never going to go anywhere but as much as I love him, he can't tell the future, just because he may never leave me doesnt mean that some tragedy may not strike leaving him unable to work or no longer with us....if such a thing happens I want to be able to still take care of our children. Again...great advice and thankyou for sharing this with us
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 5:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Lucky thank you, I thought I was going to get bashed for my opinion, Glad I am not the only one sees it like I do.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I have always thought this. I am working on my degree.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 5:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2011