How do I keep my cool when my 2 1/2 year old "pushes my buttons"?

My son is so sweet, and easy... most of the time. But lately he's been pushing my buttons more often; refusing to do something when I ask, throwing a fit about you-name-it as we're walking out the door, not eating meals, etc. I'm having a really hard time controlling my temper when he does this (especially if it's multiple times a day). I know he's "just acting his age", but any suggestions?

vixenmama

Asked by vixenmama at 5:52 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 1.....2......3.....I will not kill my son....4.....5.....6.....I will not kill my son.....7.....8.....9....this isn't working!

Start giving him some choices and see if the tantrums subside. Joey, do you want the blue shirt or the red shirt today?

My kids are now 4 and 7 1/2 and it worked wonders for my sanity and their tantrums.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I put my daughter in her room and walk away. That's about the only way I can handle her when she gets into one of those moods. Once she has calmed down, I'll go in and talk to her. But if don't do that, then I'll just continue to argue with her, and we both get increasingly upset and frustrated.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 6:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• i have never heard of the option thing but i am definatly going to try it. i have put my kids in the room when i couldnt take it anymore, i also put my mp3 player on and earbuds on and take a music brake for a few minutes.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 8:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• One of the biggest things about being 2 is that you want to have some control over your life and world. As parents, by offering them some limited choices. Milk or juice, pants or dress (for girls), this shirt or that shirt, these shoes or those shoes, it gives them some control in a safe manner to us parents. AND we can also get them to choose what we want them to choose by offering A that is what we want them to do or B which we know they won't like to do at all. Has worked wonders with my kids :)
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• offer him some limited choices. Milk or juice, pants or dress (for girls), this shirt or that shirt, these shoes or those shoes, it gives them some control or you can also get them to choose what we want them to choose by offering two things and they have to pick which one they want

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:51 AM on Mar. 10, 2011