Do you agree with this statement?

It is not because of our creative ideas. It is not because of the merit of our positions. It is not because we care about children. And it is not because we have a vision of a great public school for every child. NEA and its affiliates are effective advocates because we have power. And we have power because there are more than 3.2 million people who are willing to pay us hundreds of millions of dollars in dues each year, because they believe that we are the unions that can most effectively represent them.

Bob Chanin top atty to NEA

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 6:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Not for the children.

Yup. I agree.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:30 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• It was never about the children. Ever.

Answer by gemgem at 6:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Yes, I agree...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 6:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• about? what something is about is not the topic of the quote . . .
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Okay Auto...since I know you can't read tone....here....why not listen to the above quote HERE!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPy9G6PJIPk

And don't be obtuse and tell me you don't YouTube.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• Well Unions aren't about kids, schools, whatever. They are there to represent the teachers, etc. in contract negotiations and obtain for them, a contract that gives them a living wage, benefits such as health care and time off for maturnity leave, etc. The union is simply a bargaining unit. It's the teachers that should be concerned about the kid's, having and promoting good schools, etc., not the unions. As far as the teachers go, they need to make a decent wage, etc like everyone else. If you're looking for someone to represent you in some capacity, you're going to go with the person/group you believe will do the best job in your behalf and obviously, a lot of people feel that the NEA can do that job and do it well.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 7:15 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I never was about the students. I has always been about the money. I work in a state where people say, "you must really like kids because you surely won't get rich teaching school". Well, that's in NC. In union states, they teach to get rich. If that isn't true, the people with the unions who are making all the noise are making it seem that way.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I agree with Meriana
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 7:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• I watched, so what's your point?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2011

• You are confusing the function of the NEA with the function of the teacher-
    The teacher is there to teach, care and nurture- The NEA is "suppose" to be there to remove the barriers so we can do what we love to do- I have a sticker that says "Let me Teach"-

This issue has been clouded- people are confusing the union at the national level with the teacher at the local level-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2011